|Application deadline:||April 1 (EU and Non EU)|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Geomatics is a relatively new science concerned with the analysis, acquisition, management, and visualisation of geographic data with the aim of gaining knowledge and better understanding of the built and natural environments. It is also a broad-based and interdisciplinary field of study. Geomatics remote sensing techniques give us the ability to measure and observe our environment and especially the features that are beyond the capability of the human eye.
Geomatics data management and analysis techniques allow us to turn these measurements into useful information and knowledge with which we can identify patterns, track feature behaviour over time and predict the future state. To do this, Geomatics combines knowledge of Mathematics, Computer Science, Geodesy, and 3D modelling. The field of Geomatics can be applied to a wide range of (research) fields such as Hydrology, Crisis Management, Serious Gaming and Simulation, Urban Planning, and Land Administration.
What you will learn
The Masters programme in Geomatics provides you with the necessary knowledge and expertise to develop better solutions for solving real-world problems in an innovative way. You will become an expert in solving a myriad of challenges in the industrial, governmental, and research sectors related to the use and production of geospatial information. You will become proficient in quickly analysing the needed geospatial information, performing the required processing and analysis steps, and producing an appealing visualisation/presentation of your solutions.
With an MSc in Geomatics you are on the leading edge of a very new, highly relevant, exciting and rapidly expanding field with excellent career opportunities. The recent increase in geo-information use has created a huge need for qualified engineers. Geomatics graduates find positions in local and national governmental agencies such as the Dutch Kadaster, Geonovum and the municipalities of Rotterdam, Amsterdam and The Hague.
Their activities range from data gathering and information processing to project initiation and management. Others take positions in the private sector with industrial firms and consultancy agencies, or pursue doctoral degrees at national and international universities and research institutes. Geomatics graduates are specialists with a broad base who are able to position themselves across the entire breadth of the geomatics spectrum. The geomatics working field is expanding quickly so there is ample opportunity to find a position that suits you best or to start your own company. Geomatics engineers find positions in firms such as Fugro, Grontmij, Shell and Esri.
In the first year, you will take the Common Core courses as well as courses from the various Domain electives. The Common Core provides a strong foundation to all students by teaching the fundamentals of data gathering, processing, analysing, and visualisation. Covered topics include Positioning and Location Awareness, Geographical Information Systems and Geovisualisation, 3D Modelling of the Built Environment, Geo Datasets and Quality, Geo Databases Management Systems, GeoWeb Technology, Spatial Decision Support, and Geo-information Organisation and Legislation.
The Domain electives are sets of interlinked courses meant to broaden and/or deepen the students knowledge in one of the many Geomatics application fields: Urban Design, Urban Analysis, Landscape Architecture, Built Environment, Informatics and Geo-data acquisition. If you need to update your knowledge in Mathematics, Computer Science or basic geographical courses you can use a portion of the Domain electives credits to follow convergence courses.
In the second year, students can choose to undertake the Geomatics Synthesis Project or follow additional courses from one of the Domain electives. The Synthesis Project allows you to combine knowledge from the core programme and apply it to a real-world project while gaining hands-on experience in project management. The MSc in Geomatics is concluded with an individual graduation project that takes about 9 months to complete.
What is required to be considered for admission to an MSc programme? Please note: if you do not meet all the formal requirements, it is no use applying.
1)A. A good university Bachelor's degree in a main subject closely related to the MSc programme to which you are applying, with good grades on the key courses.
orB. A proof that you have nearly completed a Bachelor's programme in a main subject which is closely related to the MSc programme to which you are applying, with good grades on the key courses.
Exceptions: Management of Technology, Engineering and Policy Analysis and Science Education & Communication, to which all students holding any Bachelors of technology or science / engineering degree may be admitted.
2)A Bachelor's Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 75% of the scale maximum, unless specific requirements are defined for the country in which you obtained your Bachelors degree:
* Countries A - H
* Countries I - P
* Countries Q - Z
Please note: if you have not graduated yet your CGPA must meet the requirements at the time of application.
3)Proof of English language proficiency:
* A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 90 (internet-based test). Please note that we only accept the TOEFL internet-based test.
* or IELTS (academic version) overall Band score of at least 6.5.
* or proof that you have passed the University of Cambridge 'Certificate of Proficiency in English' or the University of Cambridge 'Certificate in Advanced English'
Only nationals from the USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada are exempt from the proof of English language proficiency requirement. Applicants who obtained a bachelors degree in one of the mentioned countries, are also exempt from the proof of English language proficiency requirement.
Certificates older than two years are not accepted. As the whole process of collecting information, registering for the tests and receiving the test results may take several months, we advise you to register for the IELTS or TOEFL several months before starting your application.
It is allowed to send us a copy of your test results, please check the application documents for detailed information.
* For EU/EFTA nationals, the English language certificate may be submitted until 1 July provided that all other required hard copy documents are received before the application deadline of 1 April.
* Nationals of the Peoples Republic of China only: for visa purposes you need a Nuffic certificate as proof of your English language proficiency. In order to obtain the Nuffic certificate you will need to take the IELTS or TOEFL internet-based test.
4)A clear and relevant essay in English (1,000 - 2,000 words) addressing the following:Your motivation for taking the MSc programme of your choice.
* Your motivation for taking the MSc programme of your choice.
* Why you wish to pursue this programme abroad and/or in the Netherlands in particular.
* Why you are interested in TU Delft and what you expect to find here
* If there are optional specialisations in the Masters programme of your choice: which specialisation(s) interest you most, and why?
* Describe your hypothetical thesis project; what kind of a projectwould you prefer if you were free to make a choice? Also briefly explain what you would want to explore in your thesis project. Provide a maximum of three hypothetical thesis topics and elaborate on your particular interests in them.
* A brief summary (maximum 250 words) of the thesis work or the final assignment (to be) done for your Bachelors programme, including information on the credits earned, grade, and full workload.
5)Two reference letters in English, French, German or Dutch:
* one from from a professor or an assistant professor from the faculty from which you graduated.
* one from your employer, if you already have work experience.
If you have not yet graduated or do not have work experience, you need to provide two letters from professors or assistant professors from the faculty at which you are studying.
6)An extensive résumé (curriculum vitae) written in English.
7)Proof of identity
8)Please note:Applicants for Architecture Urbanism & Building Sciences, Design for Interaction, Integrated Product Design and Strategic Product Design are required to upload a digital portfolio. Please note that only uploaded portfolios will be processed. The programme specific portfolio requirements are described on the following pages:
* portfolio requirements for Architecture Urbanism & Building Sciences (and its five tracks)
* portfolio requirements for Design for Interaction
* portfolio requirements for Integrated Product Design
* Portfolio requirements for Strategic Product Design
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|
Numerous scholarships are awarded to admitted students with exceptional promise and outstanding academic achievement by the university, its faculties, departments and industry partners. Consideration for these scholarships requires students to have been admitted to their MSc Programme. Make sure you submit your application as early as possible to be in time for all the scholarship deadlines. More information:
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.