Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
The National Research University Higher School of Economics is a leading government funded university in Russia. The Department of Mathematics was opened in 2008. Since then, it has become the most successful place in Russia for attracting researchers in Mathematics and mathematical students. We have Bachelors, Masters and Ph.D. programs in Mathematics. The department collaborates with the Steklov Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (a world renowned research institute) and has student exchange programs with the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris and the University of Kyoto. Jointly with the Independent University of Moscow, the department publishes the Moscow Mathematical Journal, the most cited Russian mathematical journal, and runs Math in Moscow, an international student exchange program.
The M.Sc. program takes two full years of study. All M.Sc. students complete their Individual Plans of Study (IPS). The IPS includes some mandatory items. However, most courses are student chosen (students can choose from a certain number of special topics courses and a certain number of research seminars). A course project must be completed by the end of the first year. By the end of their course of study, students are required to submit a Masters thesis. A presentation of thesis results, in the form of a seminar, is required. Every M.Sc. student has a faculty advisor, who supervises the course project and the Masters thesis.
Applicants can expect to:
* Learn from leading experts in Mathematics and Mathematical Physics
* Take advantage of a great variety of mathematical events happening in Moscow, a world famous mathematical center
* Choose to combine our M.Sc. program with international M.Sc. or integrated graduate programs
* Take advantage of our student exchange programs with universities in France and Japan
* Choose from a wide range of special topics courses and research seminars
* Continue their research in our Ph.D. program or in any international Ph.D. program in Mathematics (This year our first class of six M.Sc. students entered their second year and already they have received offers from the Universities Princeton, Bonn, Hanover and Nice )
* Benefit from a uniquely stimulating, dynamic and supportive learning environment
* Discover the rich and fascinating cultural life of Moscow
* Apply for Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships
* Apply for travel grants
Offers of positions with a tuition waiver (free positions) will be made to a limited number of outstanding international candidates. Applicants who also wish to apply for fee-paying positions must indicate this explicitly in their application form. In the academic year of 2010-2011, our regular tuition fee was 200,000 Russian rubles per year.
* Topology and Geometry
* Mathematical Methods of Physical Sciences
* Mathematical Experiments with Computers
* History and Methodology of Mathematics
Special topics courses:
* Advanced Mathematical Physics
* Algebraic Curves
* Infinite Dimensional Harmonic Analysis
* Number Theory
* Discrete Mathematics
* Geometric Measure Theory
* Hyperplane Arrangements
* Flag Varieties
* Galois Theory
* Representation Theory
* Axiomatic Set Theory
* Morse Theory
* Geometry and Dynamics
* Group actions
* Complex Surfaces
* Special Functions
* Elliptic Curves
* Basic Mathematical Structures
* Knot Invariants
* Symplectic Geometry
* Toric Geometry
* Representation Theory in Mathematical Physics
* Application form
* Course projects in Mathematics or Physical Sciences, and projects that are not part of a regular university curriculum. Written original texts by the applicants, both of research type and reference type, e.g. articles, must be sent in electronic form (PDF files).
* A Statement of interest, including a description of a mathematical subject that is interesting to the applicant, and a list of mathematical books, articles etc. that the applicant has read recently, mathematical events that the applicant has attended (Summer schools, public lectures, mathematical courses outside the home university/college). A Statement of interest must be written by the applicant in English (recommended size is 1-2 pages). This is an informal communication please make it meaningful and avoid trivialities.
* Recommendation letters (one required, two recommended) from a project advisor and (or) from a faculty member who is familiar with the mathematical achievements of the applicant. Recommendations can be written in English or in Russian. Applicants should ask the recommenders to e-mail the letters directly to the department.
* Diplomas or certificates confirming mathematical honors and awards of the applicant (for winners of student Olympiads, research project competitions etc.), academic scholarships and grants received by the applicant. Please attach the scanned versions to your e-mail application.
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.