|Application deadline:||September entry = August; for January entry = November|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015, January 2016|
|Credits (ECTS):||60 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
|Student interaction:||Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments|
|Teacher support:||Continuous support with feedback on request|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Postgraduate Certificate in law at Edinburgh Law School is a flexible postgraduate qualifcation that enables you to develop your skills and knowledge and can also be a step towards studying for an LLM degree.
The new Postgraduate Certificate in Law by online distance learning provides a flexible way for legal professionals, policy makers and practitioners in the private and public sectors to develop the skills and knowledge upon which further study or a relevant career can be built.
The Postgraduate Certificate also offers a flexible route to further postgraduate study as successful students can choose to transfer credits gained to one of our LLM programmes.
The programme aims to:
* Promote critical and evaluative skills
* Generate independence of thought
* Foster a sound understanding of legal issues
* Offer insight into the ethical, social and theoretical contexts within which legal issues occur
The Postgraduate Certificate in law enables you to engage with a range of subject areas within the discipline, which may include:
* Commercial law
* Information technology law
* Intellectual property law
* Medical law
* Innovation and competition law
Study optionsThe programme is one of the richest in terms of quality and module options available on the global market with 19 Masters-level modules to choose from.
You can choose to study three modules that best reflect your personal interests and objectives. Alternatively, you may choose two modules and write an extensive synoptic paper.
Where can it lead?The Postgraduate Certificate programme offers an exceptionally flexible structure for high-quality academic study, through which you can consolidate professional experience and obtain the confidence and study/research skills to progress to further study in Law.
Transfer to an LLM programme by online distance learningSuccessful students will have the option of graduating with the Certificate, or continuing their studies through a facilitated transfer onto one of the Edinburgh Law School's LLM programmes by online distance learning.
This would allow the 60 credits from the Certificate to count towards one-third of the LLM programme's 180-credit requirement.
Modules Whether you elect to take three modules, or two modules and a synoptic paper over your chosen period of study, you will find there is a wide range of modules to choose from.
The available choice of modules in any given year may change. The following modules are scheduled:
* Intellectual Property Law - Copyright and Related Rights
* Intellectual Property Law - Industrial Property
* International Intellectual Property Law
* Managing Intellectual Property
* Information Technology, Investigation, and Evidence
* International Public Health Law and Security
* Information Technology Law
* Law and Medical Ethics - Fundamental Issues in Consent and Negligence
* Information: Control and Power
* Law and Medical Ethics - Start and End of Life Issues
* Forensic Computing and Electronic Evidence
* Biotechnology, Law and Society
* European Health Care Law
* Introduction to European Union Law
* Contract Law in Europe
* Dispute Resolution Methods
* Corporate Compliance: Case Studies in Law and Ethics
* International Climate Change Law
* Health Research and Commercialisation
New modules We are pleased to announce that we have added eight new modules to our already extensive range of Masters modules:
* Communications Law
* eCommerce Law (module information will be available towards the end of March)
* European Competition and Innovation
* International Commercial Arbitration
* Principles of International Taxation
* International Sales Law and the Commodities Markets
* International and Comparative Corporate Governance Law
* International Oil and Gas and Law
To join our Postgraduate Certificate in law programme by online distance learning, you will generally need to have completed an undergraduate degree programme to a very high standard.
Your first degree does not have to be in the subject of Law, but it must be from a recognised higher education institution.
Other qualifications and professional experience will also be considered as part of your application.
If your first language is not English, you will need to provide evidence of your competence in written and spoken English.
Applicants with a law degree
If your first degree is in a legal subject you will need an 'excellent' award (equivalent to first class honours in the UK) or 'very good' award (equivalent to an upper second class honours in the UK).
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|200 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||100|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find all related scholarships and all information about funding here.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!