Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||September 2013 entry = Midnight (GMT) on Sunday 11 August 2013; for January 2014 entry = 4:00pm (GMT) on Friday 22 November 2013|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||January 2014, September 2014|
|Credits:|| 60 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
The Postgraduate Certificate in law at Edinburgh Law School is a flexible postgraduate qualifcation that enables you to develop your skills and knowledge and can also be a step towards studying for an LLM degree.
The new Postgraduate Certificate in Law by online distance learning provides a flexible way for legal professionals, policy makers and practitioners in the private and public sectors to develop the skills and knowledge upon which further study or a relevant career can be built.
The Postgraduate Certificate also offers a flexible route to further postgraduate study as successful students can choose to transfer credits gained to one of our LLM programmes.
The programme aims to:
* Promote critical and evaluative skills
* Generate independence of thought
* Foster a sound understanding of legal issues
* Offer insight into the ethical, social and theoretical contexts within which legal issues occur
The Postgraduate Certificate in law enables you to engage with a range of subject areas within the discipline, which may include:
* Commercial law
* Information technology law
* Intellectual property law
* Medical law
* Innovation and competition law
The programme is one of the richest in terms of quality and module options available on the global market with 19 Masters-level modules to choose from.
You can choose to study three modules that best reflect your personal interests and objectives. Alternatively, you may choose two modules and write an extensive synoptic paper.
Where can it lead?
The Postgraduate Certificate programme offers an exceptionally flexible structure for high-quality academic study, through which you can consolidate professional experience and obtain the confidence and study/research skills to progress to further study in Law.
Transfer to an LLM programme by online distance learning
Successful students will have the option of graduating with the Certificate, or continuing their studies through a facilitated transfer onto one of the Edinburgh Law School's LLM programmes by online distance learning.
This would allow the 60 credits from the Certificate to count towards one-third of the LLM programme's 180-credit requirement.
Whether you elect to take three modules, or two modules and a synoptic paper over your chosen period of study, you will find there is a wide range of modules to choose from.
The available choice of modules in any given year may change. The following modules are scheduled for 2013/14:
* Intellectual Property Law - Copyright and Related Rights
* Intellectual Property Law - Industrial Property
* International Intellectual Property Law
* Managing Intellectual Property
* Information Technology, Investigation, and Evidence
* International Public Health Law and Security
* Information Technology Law
* Law and Medical Ethics - Fundamental Issues in Consent and Negligence
* Information: Control and Power
* Law and Medical Ethics - Start and End of Life Issues
* Forensic Computing and Electronic Evidence
* Biotechnology, Law and Society
* European Health Care Law
* Introduction to European Union Law
* Contract Law in Europe
* Dispute Resolution Methods
* Corporate Compliance: Case Studies in Law and Ethics
* International Climate Change Law
* Health Research and Commercialisation
New modules for 2013/14
We are pleased to announce that we have added eight new modules to our already extensive range of Masters modules:
* Communications Law
* eCommerce Law (module information will be available towards the end of March 2013)
* European Competition and Innovation
* International Commercial Arbitration
* Principles of International Taxation
* International Sales Law and the Commodities Markets
* International and Comparative Corporate Governance Law
* International Oil and Gas and Law
To join our Postgraduate Certificate in law programme by online distance learning, you will generally need to have completed an undergraduate degree programme to a very high standard.
Your first degree does not have to be in the subject of Law, but it must be from a recognised higher education institution.
Other qualifications and professional experience will also be considered as part of your application.
If your first language is not English, you will need to provide evidence of your competence in written and spoken English.
Applicants with a law degree
If your first degree is in a legal subject you will need an 'excellent' award (equivalent to first class honours in the UK) or 'very good' award (equivalent to an upper second class honours in the UK).
|CAE score:||80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||100|
Edinburgh Law School will offer five Tercentenary Awards for Excellence across all the LLM and MSc Programmes in the School starting in 2012, including the LLM in Law. This award will provide funding of £1,000 towards tuition fees.
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test