|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, January 2015|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
If you would like to broaden and deepen your understanding of mechanical engineering and gain the management and business skills necessary to take on leadership roles in major engineering projects, this course is ideal.
It will provide you with a strategic overview of engineering and management issues, enabling you to develop a wider perspective and understanding of the issues facing the engineering industries, including subjects such as engineering digital simulations, business resource management, risk assessment, health and safety and environmental design issues.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
What will you study?
You will gain a broad understanding of the practical requirements of mechanical engineering, as well as knowledge of the subjects that are both specific and complementary to mechanical engineering, such as e-engineering, advanced CAD/CAM and the issues of green engineering and energy efficiency.
You will develop the ability to solve the deeper problems that arise in mechanical engineering such as computational fluid dynamics, finite elements analysis, mechanism system design and analysis and control.
You will also learn about management issues and improve your evaluation and project management skills.
The MSc features an Industrial Project Review and Analysis module, which is normally taken in industry and provides you with the challenge of undertaking a real-world problem in an engineering environment. You will also develop an awareness of work in a multidisciplinary team within an engineering organisation with real industrial constraints.
* Business Resource Management
* Industrial Project Management
This skills-based module teaches you how to:
* undertake industrially relevant projects;
* manage resources; and
* keep track of project progression.
You gain expertise in various project management techniques, such as PERT and CRP, as well as other suitable software systems.
* Information Systems for Engineers
This module helps you to understand:
* the importance of information to organisations;
* the need for an information strategy to support the business strategy; and
* the range of facilities that information systems may provide.
You also learn about methods and tools for developing appropriate systems to professional standards.
* Green Engineering and Energy Efficiency
* Industrial Project Review and Analysis (MSc only)
This module bridges theoretical engineering and its practical implementation. You work in a context of real resource, personnel and other regulatory constraints, including health and safety, quality and environmental issues.
It enables you to:
* critically analyse and reflect upon your own experiences in industry;
* develop your own views on industrial management (based on and/or in the context of available academic models); and
* be able to present and defend those views to peers.
Technical broadening modules (choose two)
* E-Engineering with Internet Applications
This module introduces you to the fundamentals of e-commerce and its potential benefits and impacts, particularly in different engineering companies. It explores:
* how to use the internet to help meet engineering design and management objectives; and
* the development of a web strategy for engineering companies.
* Integrated CAD/CAM Systems
This module develops a fundamental understanding of 3D solid modelling and the core technologies of part modelling and parametric modelling. This will enable you to develop complex geometry, which defines many of today's engineering and product models.
The module also develops an understanding of:
* the state-of-the-art engineering philosophies of concurrent engineering, collaborative working and virtual product development; and
* the role of contemporary engineering computing tools to support these.
* Advanced CAD/CAM Systems
This module develops your understanding of the techniques required to extend the capabilities of a 3D solid modelling system by using the embedded application program interface available in many Windows compliant products.
This enables you to develop an additional functional capability by accessing the modelling kernel within the CAD system and integrating functions across multiple systems (typically databases). This is achieved using Visual Basic as a programming language.
* Total Quality
This module introduces students to:
* the management and improvement of quality in products and processes; and
* supporting tools and techniques.
The module has a bias towards statistical methods, but we do not assume any prior knowledge of statistics.
Technical deepening modules (choose two)
* Computational Fluid Dynamics
This module gives you the knowledge base you need to apply computational fluid dynamics to simple flow problems.
* Advanced Stress & Finite Elements Analysis
* Mechanical Motion and Control
* Advanced Materials Processing
This module looks at:
* the importance of modern materials in advanced manufacturing processes;
* materials and processes that are available or in development; and
* aspects of quality assurance related to advance materials.
* Mechatronics and Automation Systems
Good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in partial fulfillment of the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status, and/or suitable industrial experience.
International students must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent.
We will consider applicants not requiring Matching Section under SARTOR 3 but interested in advanced study at MSc level on an individual basis. Typically these applicants must have a relevant good honours level degree and/or industrial experience.
Matching Section MSc graduates who have not completed a CEng accredited BEng(Hons) degree will not automatically satisfy our educational requirements for full CEng status. However, we will consider all matching section MSc graduates for CEng status on an individual basis.
|CAE score:||75 (Grade B)|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.