|Application deadline:||31st May|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||55 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Molecular Medicine is a new field that exploits advances in molecular and cellular biology to characterise how normal cellular processes either fail, or are subverted, in disease. Increasingly, medical practitioners, professionals and researchers in the health and life sciences need to be able to understand and evaluate advances in molecular medicine in order to keep abreast with developments in their fields.
This MSc in Molecular Medicine sets out to provide the applicant with a thorough understanding of:
* The human genome at a molecular level
* The integration of molecular and cellular biology in relation to human diseases
* The molecular basis of human genetic disease
* The molecular interactions between microbiological pathogens and the human host
* The technology currently employed in molecular genetics and cell biology
* The interaction between such technology and current clinical practice
* The molecular basis of common human malignancies
* The utilisation of knowledge on the molecular basis of human disease in planning and design of novel therapies, using phamacological agents or gene therapy
* The ethical and legal aspects of molecular medicine as it impinges on clinical practice
A working appreciation of molecular and cellular biology at the practical level and development of the ability to perform independent research
The ability to apply bioinformatic and computational techniques in medical and biological research, and information retrieval
The course aims to provide candidates with a cutting edge overview of the field of Molecular Medicine and provides taught modules on a wide range of subjects see below.
Our lecturers are predominantly research active or clinical scientists who lecture in their areas of expertise and the course content is constantly reviewed and updated - with recent significant additions in the areas of Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics, Glycobiology and Nanomedicine.
The course is divided into 11 modules (each 5 ECTs) from which students will select 9 modules, allowing the student to tailor the programme to their individual needs.
The Research Skills module (15 ECTs) is mandatory and comprises two separate week-long practical classes in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Bioinformatics, Ethics, Statistics, a Review of the literature and Seminars on Research methodology.
The Research Project (30 ECTs) forms a major component of the course and takes place over three months full-time in the laboratory on a novel piece of research (April July).
* Cellular Biology and Cell Signalling Mechanisms
* Introduction to Genetics and Development
* Molecular Oncology
* Human Genetics
* Molecular and Cellular Immunology
* Infectious Agents, Biology and Clinical Implications
* Molecular Mechanisms of Human Disease I
* Molecular Mechanisms of Human Disease II
* Advanced Diagnostics and tderapeutics
* High Content Screening and Analysis
* Nanomedicine and Medicinal Chemistry -
* Research Skills Module
Applications are invited from individuals with a primary degree in Biology, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary and pharmaceutical sciences. Applicants with other scientific qualifications may be considered. Those with a science degree must have achieved at least a II-1 honours degree or its equivalent.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||570|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||88|