Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Taxation is technical and interdisciplinary, taking in elements of law, economics, computational techniques, social sciences and critical theory. The tax profession, both domestically and globally, has grown in complexity and importance over the last two decades, creating exciting and dynamic opportunities nationally and internationally for tax experts.
This programme, offered by the Department of Accounting and Finance in the Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick, and developed in collaboration with the Irish Tax Institute, offers students the opportunity to be educated in tax in a holistic, integrated and sustainable manner in response to the expressed needs of the tax profession. Graduates from the programme will be entitled to exemptions from Part 1 and Part 2 of the Irish Tax Institute professional exams subject to minimum grade requirements.
The programme creates a distinctive opportunity for students to take their knowledge of taxation beyond the practice of compliance and planning to a deeper understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of the discipline. It also provides an opportunity for students to progress to study for the leading professional qualification, AITI Tax Consultant, and become a member of the Irish Tax Institute.
This programme aims to provide students with a thorough grounding in the knowledge and application of taxation theory, law and practice as applied to individuals and corporate entities both nationally and internationally. Among the core aims of the programme are to equip students with the following:
* The sustainable tax technical skill required for personal and corporate tax compliance and consulting work;
* An understanding of the underlying theory behind the discipline, the techniques of taxation and their implications in a social context;
* An ability to appreciate the ethical aspects of personal and corporate tax planning and the protection of the national tax base;
* The tools necessary to research technical tax issues;
* The research skills necessary to formulate, conduct and report on an independent piece of academic research;
* Key personal and professional skills including decision-making, collaboration, communication, critical thinking and presentation skills.
The Master of Taxation is a one-year, full-time programme which will be available from September 2012. The programme consists of ten taught modules, completed over two academic semesters and a research dissertation that will be completed during the summer semester.
A variety of educational approaches will be employed in the delivery of the programme including interactive lectures and tutorials, guided reading, small group team work, seminars and workshops, e-learning and action learning through case studies and guest speakers from industry. Approximately a quarter of the student workload will be taken up by formal contact hours. The remainder of the student workload should be divided between independent and private study and the preparation of projects and examinations.
* Personal Taxes
* Business Taxes
* Revenue Law
* Research Methods in Finance
* Financial Information Analysis
* Wealth and Portfolio Management
* Dissertation A
* Dissertation B
* Capital Taxes
* Indirect Taxes
* Principles of International Tax
* Research Methods in Finance workshops
* Corporate Social Responsibility
* International Monetary Economics
This Masters programme will prepare graduates to pursue a variety of careers in the tax profession and progress to study for the professional qualification, AITI Tax Consultant, and/or to engage in further tax research.
Normally the minimum entry requirement is a 2:1 honours primary degree in a relevant discipline (for example, business/commerce or law) or the overseas equivalent as determined by the Programme Team in consultation with University of Limerick Graduate School Admissions. Applicants with a 2:2 honours degree may be accepted on the programme subject to the discretion of the board. Where English is not the first language of candidates, certified demonstrable achievement in TOEFL English Competency Test will be required. In exceptional circumstances an applicant who cannot satisfy the undergraduate requirement may be accepted on the basis of relevant professional experience. Candidates may be interviewed as part of the selection process to determine their suitability for the programme.
What to Include with your Application
* Qualification transcripts and certificates
* English language qualification if English is not your first language
* Certified English translations of your transcripts/certificates where the originals are in a language other than English.
* A copy of your birth certificate (long document)
|CAE score:||80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||550|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||213|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||80|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.