Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The two-year long Master's in Cultural Studies (M.C.S.) Program at MGIMO University's is an interdisciplinary curriculum designed to provide extensive training in cultural aspects of Russia knowledge. It investigates the relationship between art, society and media in Russia to shape the understanding of Russian peoples identity. The goal of the program is to provide broad and in-depth multidisciplinary vision of past, present and future of Russia.
The program draws its strengths from the resources of the great city of Moscow and provides rigorous on-campus training in history, culture and the arts of Russia. Alongside with lectures and workshops, M.C.S. curriculum includes a number of trips to historical and cultural sites in Central and South Russia.
THE MGIMO DIFFERENCE
M.C.S. students benefit from:
* a small Master Degree program designed within a major Russian international studies oriented university;
* a diverse student body and alumni network;
* close working relationships between world-renowned faculty staff;
* an innovative curriculum;
* an attention to career-building skills in all areas of public affairs.
Various audiences may be interested in applying for the program. Future art and culture professionals will find in M.C.S. an outstanding interdisciplinary curriculum in Russian Cultural Studies. Those connected with Russia professionally or involved in different types of activities related to the country will acquire necessary cultural knowledge. For non-art professionals such as policy analysts, businessmen or consultants the program provides unique opportunity to learn about Russian identity and culture.
The program will be especially useful for those who love Russian and wants to learn this language well. M.C.S. envisages a unique course in Russian language and linguistics by best MGIMO instructors (students will have about 10 academic hours of Russian a week).
At Russian Culture and the Arts lectures are held by both renowned MGIMO faculty members and professorial lecturers from the vast Russian cultural community. Among distinguished guest lecturers are author and poet Dmitry Bykov, and great-granddaughter of Leo Tolstoy journalist Fyokla Tolstaya. Academic advise for the M.C.S. is provided by the prominent Russian author and journalist Yury Vyazemskiy.
Approximately 20 students will be enrolled in the program.
The M.A. year begins with an intensive program in culture theory, literature, philosophy and media, designed to strengthen students' skills. If candidates command of Russian is adequate, during the M.A. academic year they can select additional courses from the courses available to the Russian students of Masters Program in International Relations and Political Science taught in Russian.
Some courses are essentially lecture/discussion; others are seminars in which students present papers for group discussion; and still others are workshops based on field research, participation by visiting experts, and group reports.
A PRELIMINARY LIST OF MAIN COURSES
Theory of Culture
* Theory and History of Russian Culture
* Self-Presentation, Foundations of Behavioral Culture and Language Discourse
Russian Culture and the Arts
* Russian Literature of 19-20th Centuries
* Russian Philosophy of 19-20th centuries
* Great Russian Educators: Russian Education Over Centuries
* Russian Fine Arts Over Epochs: from Rublev to Malevich
* Architecture of Russia
* Russian and World Cinematography
* The Grands of Russian Theatre
* Musical Heritage of Russia
* Genius of Leo Tolstoy: Literary and Philosophic Legacy
* Dostoevsky: Literary and Philosophic Legacy
Russian Identity and Politics
* Media and Politics in Digital Era: Russias Competitive Edge
* Political Process in Contemporary Russia
* International Negotiations: Cross-Cultural Aspect
* Analytical Skills in Social and Cultural Research
* Ethnicity and Religion in Russia
* Russian People and the Russian soul: Myths and Reality
* Management of Social and Political Processes in Russia
* Foundations of Russias Foreign Policy
Russian Business Strategies
* Doing Business in Russia
* Innovation and R&D Strategies
The M.C.S. graduates can find a career in various cultural, social, artistic, educational and advocacy fields. MGIMO graduates are well marketable within and outside the cultural sector - in business, industry, politics or government. Internship assists in securing employment upon graduation. The program is tailored to produce best results in the following positions:
* Art Consultant
* Cultural Researcher
* Exhibition Curator
* Media Commentator
* Program Developer
* Documentary Filmmaker
* Literature and Theatre Critic
* A CV/Resume that includes professional experience, educational background, and other relevant experience
* Application essay
* Two letters of recommendation
* Copy of official transcript from each college and graduate school attended
* Copy of language certificates (for non-native English speakers)
* Apo stilled Diploma (to be presented before December, 1 of the first academic year)
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.