Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
On this course you can:
* Listen to talks by visiting speakers on topical themes and go on organisational visits
* Attend our Master Class programme or our Evening Hot Topic seminars, both of which support your development, encouraging you to exchange ideas and present you with networking opportunities
* Apply your expertise of current business practice through a paid work placement where you will complete a project for a UK or international company
What opportunities might it lead to?
The accreditation by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) represents the highest standard of achievement in postgraduate business education, demonstrating the quality, reputation and comparability of our programme.
Portsmouth Business School is a member of the Association of MBAs Group Membership Scheme, meaning our MBA students and alumni are entitled to free extended membership of the Association. This provides you with exclusive access to a global network of over 5,000 AMBA members and information with regards to MBA specific careers, networking and knowledge services for support throughout your studies and your career.
Our course is designed to provide a general management education that promotes a holistic view of management, organisations and their global environment. With an integrated approach to learning, it explores the managerial competencies required to lead and facilitate strategic change and to understand contemporary organisational challenges. You will apply such learning in your work-based project and throughout your placement.
Here are the units you will study:
* Developing Organisational Capabilities: This unit explores finance, marketing, operations, innovation, law and corporate social responsibility and how they influence and improve the overall management of an organisation.
* Leadership and Team-Building Residential: This involves teams competing in a Business Project, along with other activities to explore the realities of building and leading multi-cultural teams.
* Sustaining Organisational Value: This unit focuses on the further development of finance, operations, quantitative approaches adding decision analysis, information systems, digital marketing and sales management as well as specialised areas of marketing that develop the organisation into its future environment
* Strategic Management and Master Classes: This addresses key issues that shape organisations, their orientation, transformation and change in complex and uncertain business environments. Behavioural and economic concepts of organisations and their business contexts are also explored.
* Strategic Leadership, Culture and Change: The aim of this unit is to develop your analytical and decision-making skills in complex strategic situations.
* Consultancy and Research Methods: This unit encourages you to think critically about the nature and value of management research as well as preparing you for the role of a consultant in an organisational setting.
* MBA Professional Development: This prepares you to undertake a work placement with an employer based in the UK or elsewhere. You will explore the nature of different management cultures and investigate potential sponsoring organisations in preparation for interview. The creation of a personal development plan will be necessary.
* MBA Work-based Learning Project: This provides a unique opportunity for you to apply the skills learned on the taught part of the programme as well as pre-existing skills in a management environment where you will work on a project agreed with the employer. This is a chance to demonstrate the subject knowledge you have acquired, as well as your analytical abilities and problem-solving skills which are highly regarded by potential employers. We would normally expect work placements to be full-time paid employment.
Teaching and Assessment
Our friendly and supportive environment uses formal lectures and seminars alongside activity-based case studies. We aim to promote your career prospects by putting you into simulated situations where you apply your learning to analyse complex problems, explore the uncertainties involved, evaluate possible solutions and plan their implementation. These exercises are based on relevant case studies, including several requiring application to your placement, to enable you to develop your diagnostic, decision-making and management skills.
How are you assessed?
We vary the assessment method according to the topic content and aim to draw on current management practices. As a result, there is a focus on group work and presentations as well as work related assignments, reports and a dissertation. You will receive full guidance to prepare for your assessments.
A good honours degree (or equivalent, including professional qualifications), not necessarily in a business related subject, plus a minimum of three years appropriate and relevant postgraduate managerial/professional experience. Applicants may also be asked to offer a satisfactory score in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|75 (Grade B)|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
Association of MBAs