|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This degree provides a new and unique qualification to develop critical understanding of the wider world security context and the particular issues surrounding maritime security.
Maritime security embraces all of the main sub-sets of Security Studies - military, diplomatic, international, trans-national, economic, environmental, energy and human security. It therefore offers a new perspective within a well-established discipline. Maritime Security relates to ports, ships at anchor, or ships at sea, to the maritime industry and personnel, and to the extraction of energy from or via the sea.
It includes both traditional and non-traditional security issues. The multi-disciplinary degree is relevant to careers in the wider maritime industry, and the burgeoning maritime security industry, local and national Government and national and international maritime organisations. It will also be a key step on the career path of anyone wishing to pursue an academic career in maritime policy, defence and security studies.
Senior management and directorship in the maritime and energy industries, armed forces, police and the security industry, and careers in journalism and academia relating to, maritime history, maritime business, policy, defence and security studies
The aims of the programme are:
* To develop critical understanding of the global strategic and security context and the particular issues affecting maritime security
* To define and establish maritime security as a an all-pervading component of security studies
* To emphasise the importance of the oceans and seas to all aspects of human endeavour and survival
* To underpin the professionalisation of the maritime security industry
* To educate professionals who are equipped to meet all future maritime security challenges
* The Nature of Global and Maritime Security (10 credits) (Please note, this usually includes a three-day trip to Normandy)
* Public Shipping Law (20 credits)
* Maritime Business Environment (10 credits)
* Maritime Crime (10 credits)
* Marine Insurance (10 credits)
* Equipment, Technology and Hardware (10 credits)
* Maritime Environment and Energy (20 credits)
* Research Methods in Maritime Policy (20 credits)
* Maritime Security - Corporate Board Presentation (10 credits)
* Dissertation in Maritime Security (60 credits)
Applicants should have:
A good honours degree or equivalent qualification
PLUS GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent) in mathematics and a science subject
AND/OR relevant personal or professional experience acceptable to the programme director.
Those not possessing a first degree will normally be expected to provide evidence of at least five years relevant practical experience including relevant specialised courses.
UK-based applicants are interviewed prior to acceptance.
Where English is the applicants second language, we require an IELTS score of at least 6.5, but we strongly advise applicants to aim for a score of 7.5 in order to cope with the programme.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
The degree has been developed in association with the Security Association for the Maritime Industry (SAMI).
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!