|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This degree provides a new and unique qualification to develop critical understanding of the wider world security context and the particular issues surrounding maritime security.
Maritime security embraces all of the main sub-sets of Security Studies - military, diplomatic, international, trans-national, economic, environmental, energy and human security. It therefore offers a new perspective within a well-established discipline. Maritime Security relates to ports, ships at anchor, or ships at sea, to the maritime industry and personnel, and to the extraction of energy from or via the sea.
It includes both traditional and non-traditional security issues. The multi-disciplinary degree is relevant to careers in the wider maritime industry, and the burgeoning maritime security industry, local and national Government and national and international maritime organisations. It will also be a key step on the career path of anyone wishing to pursue an academic career in maritime policy, defence and security studies.
Senior management and directorship in the maritime and energy industries, armed forces, police and the security industry, and careers in journalism and academia relating to, maritime history, maritime business, policy, defence and security studies
The aims of the programme are:
* To develop critical understanding of the global strategic and security context and the particular issues affecting maritime security
* To define and establish maritime security as a an all-pervading component of security studies
* To emphasise the importance of the oceans and seas to all aspects of human endeavour and survival
* To underpin the professionalisation of the maritime security industry
* To educate professionals who are equipped to meet all future maritime security challenges
* The Nature of Global and Maritime Security (10 credits) (Please note, this usually includes a three-day trip to Normandy)
* Public Shipping Law (20 credits)
* Maritime Business Environment (10 credits)
* Maritime Crime (10 credits)
* Marine Insurance (10 credits)
* Equipment, Technology and Hardware (10 credits)
* Maritime Environment and Energy (20 credits)
* Research Methods in Maritime Policy (20 credits)
* Maritime Security - Corporate Board Presentation (10 credits)
* Dissertation in Maritime Security (60 credits)
Applicants should have:
A good honours degree or equivalent qualification
PLUS GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent) in mathematics and a science subject
AND/OR relevant personal or professional experience acceptable to the programme director.
Those not possessing a first degree will normally be expected to provide evidence of at least five years relevant practical experience including relevant specialised courses.
UK-based applicants are interviewed prior to acceptance.
Where English is the applicants second language, we require an IELTS score of at least 6.5, but we strongly advise applicants to aim for a score of 7.5 in order to cope with the programme.
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary
The degree has been developed in association with the Security Association for the Maritime Industry (SAMI).
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.