|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 60 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is aimed at students who wish to pursue a career in agriculture and sustainable development in the private sector, research, NGO or government communities. It provides a firm grounding in research methods applicable to the study of sustainable agriculture and the intellectual tools for understanding sustainable agriculture systems. The courses combine theoretical approaches and empirically based learning from case studies of real projects and agricultural scenarios.
Teaching will focus on case studies from NRIs corporate experience of looking at how research into agricultural issues, both in the natural and social sciences, can be translated into knowledge and products that have real impact on increasing the effectiveness of agriculture in delivering food security and enhancing livelihoods for all stakeholders. The potential role of agricultural innovations, both in technology, including biotechnology, knowledge systems, extension services and institutional partnerships in promoting development are also a strong theme in courses.
The aims of the programme are:
* To understand modern agricultural systems and the associated technologies of production together with their potential impacts on agriculture and livelihoods
* To understand the social, institutional and economic context within which agriculture operates
* To understand modern agriculture and its role in sustainable development.
Assessment consists of a combination of assignments, essays, presentations, reports, portfolios and formal examinations.
This programme provides specialist expertise for those working or seeking to work in agricultural development or research, or pursuing an advanced agricultural or development qualification in the UK and overseas. Students graduate with a broad general knowledge of agricultural applications in sustainable development and also more focused in-depth knowledge.
* Research Methods (15 credits)
* Tools for Sustainable Agriculture (15 Credits)
* Integrated Pest Management (30 credits)
* Independent research project dissertation (60 credits)
* Two to four options from a list that currently includes: Agronomy (15); Agroforestry (15); Economics, Agriculture, and Marketing (15); Livestock and Sustainable Agriculture (15); Biotechnology and Transgenic Crops (30); Plant Disease Management (15); Plant Quarantine and Sustainable Resource Management (15); Biotechnology and Diagnostic Methods (30); Agricultural Innovation for Development (15); Soils and Environments (15) (60 credits)
Applicants should have:
An honours degree (at least 2.2 or above)
OR an equivalent professional qualification in an appropriate subject.
Where English is the second language, an IELTS average score of 6.5 (for each of the four areas) or 7 is required.
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.