|Application deadline:||April 30 (winter term); October 31 (summer term)|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2014, April 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master Program provides a scientific education in the respective fields of research. The study program puts strong emphasis on practical training in advanced laboratory courses dealing with topics of current research performed in different groups. Lectures and seminars provide a sound theoretical knowledge and allow the students to actively discuss scientific problems with their academic professors and instructors.
The final part of the programme is the MSc. thesis, which is based on a 6 month research project. Successful completion of the Master program qualifies students for a doctoral program.
The Master program Microbial and Plant Biotechnology provides a deepened, scientifically founded education in the biotechnological use of microorganisms and plants. The students acquire knowledge in the molecular biology of pro- and eukaryotic cells, and learn modern methods in their investigation and genetic manipulation.
They become familiar with the concepts of systems biology and bioinformatics, and their practical application. This knowledge provides the foundation for applied research topics that are studied in the groups involved in this program, namely:
* Infection mechanisms of bacterial and fungal pathogens of man and plants, and their resistance mechanisms against antimicrobial drugs;
* potential and optimization of microorganisms for the synthesis of a multitude of useful compounds;
* mechanisms of crop plants to achieve high yields and tolerance against abiotic and biotic stress factors;
* strategies to improve crop yield and quality, as well as stress resistance;
* role of molecular chaperones in chloroplast biogenesis;
* genetic manipulation of microalgae;
* system biological approaches to analyze the effects of perturbations on plant and microbial systems (with focus on quantitative proteomics).
In the courses of choice, biological and other scientific directions are studied, and soft skill competences (e.g. foreign languages, team working skills, presentations techniques etc.) are improved. The degree holders are capable to perform scientific work independently, and to apply their knowledge in different contexts. They can work as biologists in academic or other public institutions and in the private sector, e.g. in research and development, or in support, marketing and sale departments of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
* Bachelor degree (or equivalent)
* English Language proficiency certificate (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent)
* German: You can start the Master Programme without any language proficiency in German, however you are obliged to attend the preparatory 'Intensive Language and Orientation Course' at the University of Kaiserslautern which forms an integral part of your programme.
* APS (for Applicants of the Peoples Republic of China, Vietnam and Mongolia only)
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||550|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||80|
* No programme fees, programme fees are covered by the state of Rhineland Palatinate.
* Recommended: German Language & Orientation Course for international Master students: 650 EU single payment.
* Enrolment fee: ~ 200 EUR per semester, includes e.g.: free transportation in the area around Kaiserslautern (up to 100 km), more than 50 free university sports courses and more
* Assessment Fee: 50 EUR single payment for the verification of foreign certificates
High standards of living at low costs:Monthly costs: in total ~ 600-650 EUR to cover all personal expenses.
e.g.: Accomodation approx.: ~230 EUR; Health insurance: ~80 EUR; Food: ~200 EUR
Cost of Living - a snapshot on regional prices:
* Meal in refectory: 2,40 EUR
* Loaf of bread: 1,20 EUR
* Orange juice (1 liter): 1,00 EUR
* Rice (1kg): 0,90 EUR
Job Opportunities:Student assistantships are available on a competitive basis. Excellent students have good chances of
finding jobs in research projects, but usually these are not granted in advance. Support in finding
a job as a student assistant is available from the International School for Graduate Studies
Arrival Support:International School for Graduate Studies (ISGS) at TU Kaiserslautern:
Lending a hand in every phase of your stay
Before Your Arrival...
Effective pre-arrival communication helps you to regulate application, visa, residence permit, and
housing affairs; we supply any information and assistance needed to manage the application procedure
and arrange accommodation on demand, and provide support on an individual basis in completing your
documents for arrival.
Once You Are here...
One major task of the ISGS team is to help the students settle into and become part of the
university's community. The welcome-package includes pick-up from the train station and drop-off at
the student's apartment as well as support with first shopping and highly individualised support in
administrative and organisational issues, e.g. enrolement, registration with local authorities,
opening a bank account, and insurance matters.
Orientation Course - A prelude to German communication, academic culture & daily life. This course
is offered twice a year prior to the start of the lecture period (6-8 weeks). It includes intensive
language training, administrative support as well as cultural and social events. You will improve
your knowledge of German and learn about our teaching styles and methods. In short, this course
enhances orientation on campus, in town, and in the student community. Once having established a
foothold, you will havea clear mind for efficient studies or research!
Services and Support for International Students:The International School for Graduate Studies (ISGS) cares for international graduates & PhD
candidates from the very decision of coming to Kaiserslautern until graduating or leaving the
university. We lend a hand during every phase of your stay!
Besides the individual support during the pre-arrival phase and warm welcome, we´ll provide you
with continuing support that will enhance your learning:
Mentoring Your Studies and Research...
During studies or research, ISGS offers a variety of cultural and social events as well as
extra-curricular activities enhancing your professional skills - such as workshops in academic
culture or intercultural communication - which are supplementary and free. These are highly
recommended for your personal development.
Jumpstart Your Career...
The ISGS offers professional development training on teamwork and leadership, time management, and
cross cultural training as well as specific language training with regard to job applications. To
achieve outstanding success with regard to your thesis, the variety of our special offers for PhDs
during the final period at university is permanently growing.
The ISGS establishes meetings with reputable contacts from science and industry within our
Career-Services and sets up visits to factories, company headquarters, and research institutes in
order to help the students launch new careers.
Accommodation:The majority of our students live in residence halls located on or close to campus. Unlike in other
countries, German dormitories are not owned or operated by the university, but by external
institutions. The "Studierendenwerk" operates several large Halls of Residence in Kaiserslautern.
Students submit housing applications directly to the Studierendenwerk, which typically have a
waiting period. For international master or PhD students, the International School for Graduate
Studies (ISGS) at TU Kaiserslautern aims at arranging accomodation in these residence halls or
private accomodation within its pre-arrival service. The halls of residence have modern single,
double or shared apartments with kitchenette, bathroom/WC and modern facilities, as well as internet
* Kitchenette: no plates & pots, etc.
* Bedd & mattress (no blankets & pillows)
* Shelf, table, chair (no computer)
* Rent range: 200-270 EUR
Since accommodation is not automatically guaranteed with admission, a request for accommodation to
ISGS is advisable.