|Application deadline:||Non-EEA: 28 February; EEA: 30 April|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Molecular Imaging combines advanced engineering in molecular, cellular and animal biology together with state-of-the-art technology for non-invasive imaging of molecules in living individuals, organs, tissues and cells.. This new science contributes immensely to biomedicine because it is the major technology that can explore and measure the chemistry of life in a non-invasive manner. Through the invention of methods for the study of biological processes and of novel diagnostic protocols, this field is key for gathering fundamental new insights, and for the development of new diagnostics and therapeutics.
This international Master programme teaches you the fundamental principles of biomedical imaging and trains you to perform research as part of a multidisciplinary team. You have the possibility to join one of the universitys spearhead laboratories / institutes, or to combine your study with an international experience.
A Master Degree in Molecular Imaging offers you many career opportunities. Graduates continue on to universities and research institutes, the pharmaceutical industry, and the science, industry and healthcare sectors where they hold policy and management positions.
The outline of the study programmes of the Biomedical Sciences Masters programmes will be maintained in order to enable you to develop your own Masters plan and to facilitate interdisciplinary interactions at the interfaces between scientific disciplines and programmes. The study programme comprises a total of 120 ECTS.
The Molecular Imaging programme offers you the opportunity to combine courses of different disciplines in biomedical imaging and research projects in spearhead laboratories and institutes. Moreover, courses in preclinical and clinical drug research facilitate career opportunities in clinical research organisations and biopharmaceutical industries.
Courses and research are organised during 4 semesters. The research internship takes 6 weeks in a laboratory of the students choice. The project proposal and the Masters research project and thesis lasts 7 months and are completed in one of the spearhead laboratories.
In completing the research projects, you will gain practical experience in scientific research and learn to analyse data, write reports and give oral presentations. Students are encouraged to go abroad and complete their research work in part or entirely in a partner university.
The study programme has to be approved by the programme coordinator.
1st semester 30 ects
Mandatory major courses Molecular imaging18 ects
* Principles of in vivo biomedical imaging, preclinical and clinical studies (6 ECTS)
* Preclinical and clinical imaging with focus on neurology (6 ECTS)
* Hands-on-(Micro)-MRI (3 ECTS)
* Fundamentals of Signal and Image Processing (3 ECTS)
Mandatory general courses12 ects
* Fundamentals of Protein technology and proteome analysis (3 ECTS)
* Fundamentals of Gene and genome technology (3 ECTS)
* Preclinical drug research (6 ECTS)
2nd semester30 ectsMandatory major courses Molecular imaging12 ects
* Nuclear biomedical imaging, preclinical and clinical studies with focus on oncology (3 ECTS)
* Hands-on-(Micro)-PET (3 ECTS)
* Tracers, probes and reporters for microscopic molecular imaging (3 ECTS)
* Advanced Signal and Image Processing (3 ECTS)
Mandatory general courses09 ects
* Patents and innovation
* Introduction to multivariate statistics, bioinformatics and data mining
* Research internship (9 ECTS)
3rd semester 30 ects
Laboratory animal science 12 ects
State-of-the-Art-Lectures in Biomedicine 06 ects
* Seminars in Sensory neurosciences (3 ECTS)
* Seminars in Psychiatric research (3 ECTS)
* Seminars in Molecular neurosciences (3 ECTS)
* Seminars in Neuroimaging (3 ECTS)
* Seminars in Neuroengineering (3 ECTS)
* Seminars in Animal biosciences (3 ECTS)
Research 12 ects
* Project proposal (12 ECTS)
4th semester 30 ects
Research 30 ects
* Masters research project and thesis (30 ECTS)
Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Science (academic degree, minimum 180 ECTS) in Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bio-engineering, Pharmacy, Biology, Medicine or Veterinary Medicine. Good basics of Physics are strongly recommended.
A good knowledge of English is required. Candidates with a Bachelor degree not obtained from a recognized university or university college in Belgium and The Netherlands are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English by :
* submitting proof that they have studied at least one academic year in an English-language Bachelor or master programme. The board of Admission still may ask additional proof of your proficiency in English
* providing a language certificate mentioning their TOEFL or IELTS scores:
- TOEFL paper-based minimum 550
- TOEFL internet-based minimum 80
- IELTS with minimum score of 6.5 (with minimum score 6.0 on each part)
* providing a certificate testifying that the level of English of the student corresponds to (or surpasses) level CEFR B2. The University of Antwerp uses the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR, more information on ) to define the required level of English.
Candidates with a Bachelor degree from a recognized university or university college in Belgium and The Netherlands are strongly advised to assure they possess the necessary language skills to successfully complete the programme.
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||550|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||80|
We strongly recommended to contact the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in your home country to learn about scholarship opportunities. The addresses can be found at the official website from the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (
All study programmes at the University of Antwerp received accredidation from NVAO (Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation).