|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Using state-of-the-art molecular and genetic technology to enhance biological organisms and their products, biotechnology develops novel solutions to medical, environmental and agricultural issues. It is a rapidly developing field of research and industry, and is widely regarded as a major technology of the 21st century.
Biotechnology brings together skills from a wide range of disciplines, including biology, chemistry and computer science. These skills will provide many employment opportunities in the emerging global biotechnology industries.
What will you study?
This course is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in the biotechnology sector whether in the multi-national biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry or the smaller companies exploiting new innovations in the field. It will also prepare you to pursue a research career at a university or in industry.
If you are interested in such careers and have a good first degree in a biological science or biotechnology, with a strong emphasis on genetics and molecular biology, the course is ideal.
This course includes eight taught modules (two of which are option modules), plus a research project. Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list.
* Biotechnology (semester I)
* Molecular Medicine (semester I)
* Research and Enterprise in Biotechnology (semester I)
* Systems Biology and Bioinformatics (semester II)
* Medical Biotechnology (semester II)
* Environmental and Agricultural Biotechnology (semester II)
* Research Project (semester III)
Option modules (choose two)
* Separation Science I (semester I)
* Molecular and Atomic Spectroscopy (semester I)
* Tumour Biology (semester I)
* Clinical Trials and Pharmacovigilance (semester I)
* Separation Science II (semester II)
* Pharmaceutical Technology (semester II)
* Development, Manufacture and Regulation of Medicines (semester II)
* Molecular Oncology (semester II)