Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
This programme is currently not being updated by a university administrator
The information might be incorrect, incomplete or outdated.
We apologise for your inconvenience.
If you are a student, you can request further information from the programme contact person(s) listed below. If you are an employee of The American University of Paris, please contact us to administrate this information.×
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||January 2014, August 2013|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
The Master of Arts in Middle East & Islamic Studies and International Affairs is a dynamic initiative that allows students to benefit from the best of two disciplines - a solid grounding in international relations theory and practice, as well as different political and ideological perspectives from throughout the Middle East and the Islamic world.
The program is taught over two years and includes a set of core courses from both disciplines and elective courses on specific countries and languages, conflict resolution and civil society development issues. The program builds on theoretical knowledge of politics and international affairs, while providing a range of regional specialization in the Middle East and other Islamic countries as well as the US and Europe.
Graduates can expect to pursue careers in government, business, international organizations such as the United Nations or the NGO sector in a variety of locations, utilizing a wide range of skills that foster their ability to resolve conflict in challenging circumstances and to understand and improve complex social problems affecting people of various religious and cultural backgrounds.
* Educates well-grounded, well-versed, and well-informed international citizens capable of understanding, analyzing, and conveying their first hand knowledge of global interaction with the Middle East and Islamic countries around the world.
* Encourages multiple views and perspectives on the same subject, offered within a pluralistic and coherent multi-disciplinary approach.
* Trains students to achieve intellectual autonomy, to make informed decisions and to demonstrate imagination and openness to new experiences, as well as to have the flexibility to think across disciplines and transfer skills between areas of expertise.
* Undergraduate degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or equivalent)
* Original, official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended.
* Candidate's information form.
* 2 letters of recommendation (academic and/or professional)
* An essay of approximately 500 words (in English), indicating (1) what undergraduate research and/or professional work you have conducted in the field of international affairs, or Middle Eastern and Islamic affairs (2) your reasons for applying to the program, and 3) your career objectives.
* An essay of approximately 1,000 words (in English), discussing the merits of the following statement:" Understanding the Middle East necessitates knowledge of Islam, yet the understanding of Islam does not require knowledge of the Middle East." The essay should include a clear analytical argument.
* Dissertation statement: All students will be required to do field research and complete a dissertation of approximately 15,000 words. Please outline (in a maximum of 500 words) your proposed topic of research, including at least two scholarly sources that inform your research topic, as well as an idea of the framework for your field research. A clear analytical argument that supports your working hypothesis is required.
* CV or Resume.
* Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required. For clarifications and exemptions please visit the program website.
* TOEFL scores for applicants whose mother-tongue is not English or whose undergraduate education was not from an English language university.
* The EUR75 application fee. The application fee must accompany the application.
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test