This programme is currently not being updated by a university administrator
The information might be incorrect, incomplete or outdated.
We apologise for your inconvenience.
|Application deadline:||Round 1 by 1 February; Round 2 by 1 April; Round 3 after 1 April (based on available spaces)|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||January 2015, September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
he three-semester Master of Arts program in Middle East Studies and Arabic (MEL) combines rigorous study of the Middle East with a solid working knowledge of Arabic. The degree offers insight and knowledge into the history, politics, economics, and religion of the region while allowing students to master Arabic. In addition to study in Paris, students get to immerse themselves in this most useful of languages during a summer semester in Cairo.
The program include 40 credits as follows: * Four core Middle East courses (16 credits)
* Four Arabic language courses (14 credits)
* One elective Middle East or Islamic world course (4 credits)
* A 10,000 word MA research project in the spring semester of studies (4 credits)
Coursework MastersThe MA in Middle East Studies and Arabic is a 40 credit Coursework Masters taken over the course of 2.5 semesters; it can be completed in one calendar year. Coursework Masters at AUP open up international horizons, transmit essential knowledge, and act as platforms enabling career-transition or advancement to a higher degree. Students develop precision in their linguistic and analytic skills through language classes and a personalized research project.
Summer semester in CairoAs working in the Middle East or on issues related to the Middle East is quickly gaining ever more importance, the mastery of Arabic is a highly sought after skill. The summer semester in Cairo immerses students in an ideal environment to familiarize themselves with the people and their language and customs.
The three-semester MA provides a sound base for students interested in pursuing further education in Middle Eastern studies. It can also complement other professional or pre-professional training. The program may appeal to those interested in positions at human rights, international, government, and nongovernmental organizations, as well as those looking to work in mass media, business, commerce, and law.
Program requirements for the MA in Middle East Studies with LanguageCore courses (16 credits) * ME_IS 5010 Methodology of Viewing the Middle East and the Islamic world
* ME_IS 5015 Modern Islamic Revivalist Movements (1700- Present)
* ME 5023 The History of the Middle East 1800 to present
* ME 5025 State, Society and Political Economy of Contemporary Middle East
Elective courses (4 credits)Choose one of the following courses:
* IS 5050 Islam: Religion and Law
* IS 5055 The History of Islam and Islamic thought (600-1100)
* ME/IS 5016 History of Islamic Middle East (1200-1800)
* ME/IS 5017 Art and Architecture in the Middle East and the Islamic world
* ME 5019 Gender and the Middle East
* ME_IS 5020 Diversity and Pluralism in the Muslim World with an emphasis on the Middle East
* IS 5052 Islamic Philosophy
* IS 5053 Islamic Law
* IS 5054 The Islamic City
* IS 5056 Islamic Economics
* IS 5057 Sufism
* IS 5058 Islam in Europe
* ME 5021 The Palestinian Condition: History, Refugees and Every Day Life
* ME 5026 Politics of the Middle East
* ME 5027 Europe and the Middle East
* ME 5028 US Foreign Policy in the Middle East
* ME 5029 Middle East in the International Context
* ME 5030 The Arab-Israeli Conflict
* ME 5031 Conflicts in the Middle East
* IS 5051 Human Rights and Islam
* ME 5091 Special Topics on: Modern Turkey; Modern Egypt; Modern Iran; Modern Pakistan and Afghanistan; Modern North Africa; Modern Fertile Crescent; Modern South-East Asia, Modern Central Asia.
Language Courses (14 credits) * Four language courses
Research Seminar (2 credits) * GR 5010 Research Seminar in Global Studies
Research Project (4 credits) * ME 5094 Research Project
A successful graduate program application requires several supporting documents such as transcripts and letters of recommendation. Some programs also have program-specific requirements. Most documents can be submitted online via the AUP Application Portal. Your application is not complete until we have received all required documents.
General requirements for graduate programsA successful application to The American University of Paris requires several supporting documents and sometimes tests. Most can be uploaded directly in your online application. We cannot provide you with a decision until we receive all of your documents.
* Online application form
* Personal statement
* C.V. or résumé
* Two letters of recommendation
* Official transcripts
* English Language Test
* Standardized tests (required for most programs)
* Program-specific requirements
Almost all courses at The American University of Paris are taught in English, so entering students must demonstrate sufficient English fluency. If English is not your first language, we require that you submit one of the following tests and that the results are not older than two years.
Financial aid and scholarshipsAn AUP education is an important investment in your future, and we work hard to make it an affordable one. Our tuition and costs are competitive with those of small, selective universities in the United States, and we offer need- and merit-based grants as well as research assistantships that make a graduate degree at AUP more affordable. Some opportunities vary by program, so please visit individual program pages for complete information.