Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
On this course you can:
* Use simulation and modelling application software for virtual design and manufacturing
* Utilise our strong links with companies and investigate real industrial problems to enhance your understanding of the profession
* Tie in the topic of your individual project with one of our research groups and benefit from the expertise of our actively researching academics
What opportunities might it lead to?
This course has been accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), meeting the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). It will provide you with some of the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for eventual registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
* research and development
* product manufacture
* project management
You will study several key topics that will help equip you to work as a mechanical engineer in a broad spectrum of mechanical engineering business activity management, research, design and development roles. You will also complete a four-month individual project tailored to your individual interests that can take place in our own laboratories or, by agreement, in industry.
Here are the units you will study:
* Structural Integrity: Contemporary approaches are applied to the evaluation of mixed mode fracture and fatigue failure. Dynamic plastic responses of structures and the performance of composite structures are evaluated.
* Industrial Control Systems: This unit covers mathematical representation of control system models is developed principally using Laplace transforms. System behaviour and simulation is analysed with practical case studies, leading to control system specifications.
* Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes: A unit where modern processes and techniques are evaluated, including rapid prototyping/manufacture. Material selection is incorporated with particular emphasis on modern composite materials including eco-friendly options using natural fibres.
* Energy Management: This unit incorporates energy conservation practice, thermal plant analysis, including combined heat and power systems and the study of biomass combustion.
* Structural Application of Finite Elements: The use of finite element analysis techniques and software applied to structural problems is developed. Modelling with both isotropic and orthotropic materials is investigated, as well as such topics as cracking in dissimilar materials and composite laminates.
* Computational Fluid Dynamics: A practical case study analysis approach is used for model formulation and CFD simulation. Fundamental principles are used to appraise the results of CFD analysis of problems with industrial applications.
* Individual Project: A strong feature of the course is the individual project, which comprises a third of the course. We encourage students to undertake projects in industrial companies, but we can also use our extensive resources and staff skills to undertake projects within the University.
Teaching and Assessment
You will be taught through a mixture of lectures, seminars, tutorials (personal and academic), laboratory sessions and project work. The course has a strong practical emphasis with a significant amount of your time spent our laboratories. We pride ourselves on working at the leading-edge of technology and learning practices.
How are you assessed?
A range of assessment methods encourages a deeper understanding of engineering and allows you to develop your skills. Heres how we assess your work:
* written examinations
* laboratory-based project work
* a major individual project/dissertation
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) - Partially fulfils educational requirements for CEng under United Kingdom Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)/Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)