|Application deadline:||October 2015|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This program is wide-ranging and interdisciplinary. It offers a thorough grounding in the field of economics and provides broad skills and solid foundations through a unique combination of quantitative methods and social sciences.
In particular, graduates develop the ability to interpret the economic and social processes that are typical of societies at all stages of development. These interdisciplinary capabilities are appreciated both by the job market and by PhD recruiters. Students have the opportunity to get in touch with top-level researchers and choose from a set of international experiences (exchange programs and internships).
LEARNING OBJECTIVESThe Master of Science in Economic and social sciences has the following educational objectives:
* provide advanced studies in theoretical and applied economics, to understand key aspects of current economic and social systems necessary to carry out highly qualified professional activities in the socio-economic field;
* allow the student to personalize advanced studies in specific areas of theoretical economics (e.g. microeconomics, macroeconomics, monetary economics, development economics) aimed at pursuing the required competences or to enroll in a PhD program at national or international level or to access in roles of applied economist in companies or institutions;
* complete the economic and quantitative studies providing competences in subjects as business and juridical, so as to develop interdisciplinary problem analysis skills;
* develop competences via educational activities inside and outside the classroom which promote student-teacher interaction and interaction between the students themselves as well as complex problem analysis and problem solving skills, ability to present and discuss the results of ones work;
* promote competence (in the business area) in the use of English and of a second EU language to work effectively and efficiently in ones profession.
Possible career opportunities are:
* Professions with strong research content, such as positions within international organizations, public or private research centers, consulting firms, the economic press, and professional academic careers in the areas of economics,statistical analysis, economic history, social sciences and applied mathematics
* New professional contexts in which economists are strongly required, such as regulatory authorities, central banking, nonprofit organizations, innovative areas in public administration, such as diplomacy and international commerce
* Applied statistician analyzing sociodemographic trends on behalf of firms and corporations, and other economic or financial organizations
* Company positions that require high-level analytical skills
The program is made up of courses which can be divided into the following areas: analysisandstatistics, economics, and social sciences.
In the second semester of the first year, students personalize their curriculum through elective courses, which pertain to the three main areas: General Economics, Applied Economics, and Econometrics and Quantitative Methods.
Students choose a foreign language based on the graduate program instruction language and on their native language (which cannot be chosen as a foreign language). In classes taught in English, in order to get the language credits required for the degree, international students must study Italian plus another European language to be chosen from among French, German, Spanish, Portuguese or English.
Native Italian speakers must study two other European languages.
Please note that the course requirements may be subject to change.
Program StructureFirst year
* Advanced mathematics for economics and social sciences
* Advanced statistics for economics and social sciences
* Institutions, government and society - module I
* Competition Law
* Institutions, government and society - module II
* 3 elective courses
* First foreign language (lessons only)
* Second foreign language (lessons only)
* 4 elective courses
* First foreign language (lessons + exam 1st semester 2nd year)
* Second foreign language (lessons + exam 1st semester 2nd year)
* Internship or similar activities
Total credit points - 120
Please consider the following rules while choosing the 7 elective courses:
* at least 2 from the General Economics group
* at least 1 from the Applied Economics group
* at least 1 from the Social and Quantitative Fields group
* 3 free choices
General Economics group
* ADVANCED MACROECONOMICS, in English
* ADVANCED MICROECONOMICS, in English
* DEVELOPMENT ECONOMICS, in Italian and in English
* GAME THEORY: ANALYSIS OF STRATEGIC THINKING, in English
* MONETARY POLICY, in English
* POLITICAL ECONOMICS - ADVANCED, in English
Applied Economics group
* ADVANCED ECONOMETRICS, in English
* BUSINESS AND POLITICS, in English
* COMPETITION POLICY, REGULATION AND LIBERALIZATIONS, in English
* ECONOMIA DELL'ENERGIA, in Italian
* ECONOMICS OF EUROPEAN INTEGRATION, in English
* LABOUR ECONOMICS, in English
* MICROECONOMETRICS, in English
* MONETARY POLICY AND FINANCIAL REGULATION: ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL ECONOMY, in English
* POLICY EVALUATION, in English
* PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE, in English
* PUBLIC ECONOMICS, in English
* TOPICS IN INTERNATIONAL ECONOMICS, in English
Social and Quantitative Fields group
* BAYESIAN STATISTICAL METHODS, in English
* BEHAVIOURAL MODELS AND NEUROEXPERIMENTAL EVIDENCE: APPLICATIONS IN ECONOMICS AND FINANCE, in English
* COMPARATIVE BUSINESS HISTORY: COMPETITION AND GLOBALIZATION, in English
* COMPARATIVE POLITICS, in English
* GLOBALIZATION IN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: ECONOMY, POLITICS AND INSTITUTIONS, in English
* POPULATION DYNAMICS AND ECONOMICS, in English
* SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC NETWORKS, in English
* SOCIOLOGICAL ANALYSIS, in English
* STORIA, ISTITUZIONI E CRISI DEL SISTEMA FINANZIARIO GLOBALE, in Italian
* TIME SERIES ANALYSIS OF ECONOMIC-FINANCIAL DATA, in English
The educational offer for elective courses is subject to change.
The Bocconi Graduate School offers pre-experience Master of Science programs, for students coming directly from previous studies (Bachelor degree) or also with some brief work experience.
These programs are built around a teaching model based on the presence and active participation of students, interactive teaching methods and organized group work. The environment is one where relations with fellow students, professors and other figures involved represent an important added value in completing the course work.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!