Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master of Science in Economic and Social Sciences is a wide-ranging and interdisciplinary program.
It offers a thorough grounding in the field of economics and provides broad skills and solid foundations through a unique combination of quantitative methods and social sciences
The program aims at providing students with an advanced knowledge in economics, economic history, sociology and political science, in the quantitative tools and in the legal disciplines aimed to the regulation of businesses and markets.
In particular, depending on the specific study plan that students may choose, the course has the objective of:
* Providing a solid background in theoretical and applied economics. The goal is the understanding of the key aspects of the present and future of economic and social systems: their main characteristics and their evolution. The relevant knowledge and methods will be acquired through (inter)active courses;
* Developing the ability to analyse and interpret social and economic phenomena through the knowledge of advanced quantitative methodology and experience in their application;
* Develop the ability to interpret evolving economic, social and cultural processes both within technologically advanced and within developing societies. This will be achieved through the study of the foundation of human sciences and different forms of knowledge.
Possible career opportunities are:
* Professions with strong research content, such as positions within international organizations, public or private research centers, consulting firms, the economic press, and professional academic careers in the areas of economics,statistical analysis, economic history, social sciences and applied mathematics;
* New professional contexts in which economists are strongly required, such as regulatory authorities, central banking, nonprofit organizations, innovative areas in public administration, such as diplomacy and international commerce;
* Applied statistician analyzing sociodemographic trends on behalf of firms and corporations, and other economic or financial organizations;
* Company positions that require high-level analytical skills.
The program is made up of courses which can be divided into the following areas: analysis and statistics, economics, and social sciences.
In the second semester of the first year, students personalize their curriculum through elective courses, which pertain to the three main areas: General Economics, Applied Economics, and Econometrics and Quantitative Methods.
Students choose a foreign language based on the graduate program instruction language and on their native language (which cannot be chosen as a foreign language
The master of Science program in Economic and Social Sciences is a two-year full-time graduate program.
* Advanced mathematics for economics and social science
* Advanced statistics for economics and social sciences
* Institutions, government and society
* Competition Law
* 3 elective courses
* First foreign language (lessons only)
* Second foreign language (lessons only)
* 4 elective courses
* First foreign language (lessons + exam 1st semester 2nd year)
* Second foreign language (lessons + exam 1st semester 2nd year)
* Internship or similar activities
Please consider the following rules while choosing the 7 elective courses::
o at least 2 from the General Economics group
o at least 1 from the Applied Economics group
o at least 1 from the Social and Quantitative Fields group
o 3 free choices
General Economics group
* Advanced macroeconomics
* Development economics
* Game theory: analysis of strategic thinking
* Advanced microeconomics
* Political economics - Advanced
* Monetary policy
Applied Economics group
* Economics of energy
* Economics of European integration
* Industrial economics and competition policy
* Industrial organization
* International trade
* Labor economics
* Principles of finance
* Public economics
* Advanced econometrics
* Policy evalutation
* Monetary, policy, financial regulation and credit markets
Social and Quantitative Fields group
* Bayesian statistical methods
* Population dynamics and economics
* Sociology and history
* Stochastic calculus with applications to finance and economics
* Comparative politics
* Time series analysis of economic-financial data
* History, institutions and crises of the global financial system
* Economics, society and institutions: perspective view
* Comparative business history: competition and globalization
* Behavioural models and neuroexperimental evidence: applications in economics and finance
The program is geared to students with a background in economics, business or finance who wish to specialize in socio-economic topics, using advanced quantitative methods.The program is also geared to students with a background in mathematics and statistics.
Every year Bocconi University establishes the maximum number of students that can be admitted to each degree, in order to guarantee the best possible conditions and the best opportunity for successfully completing the degrees and to offer them assistance in entering the professional work environment.
Different categories of applicants have different admissions procedures. In detail you can distinguish from:
* Bocconi applicants and procedures (Italian version)
* Italian applicants and procedures
* International applicants and procedures
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.