|Application deadline:||Start in 1 September: April (non-EEA: April).|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master's in Human Geography and Planning (HGP) prepares you to understand the complex social, economic, cultural and mobility issues arising from an urbanised world.
The two-year research Master's programme in Human Geography and Planning gives you the opportunity to understand developments that are unique to the urbanised world and assess the impact and effectiveness of policies designed to make cities viable. Through compulsory first-year courses aimed to give you a firm foundation in academic competencies, as well as methods and techniques of research into human geographic and planning;and elective courses in such topics as Development Theories and Economic Geography,you will gain knowledge and skills needed to contribute to the ongoing body of research in HGP. The second year of the programme consists of a study period abroad; the crafting of your Master's thesis; and using the thesis as a basis for writing either a paper publishable in a peer-review journal, or a PhD research proposal. This programme provides an excellent basis for PhD research in human geography and urban and regional planning. Graduates will also be eligible for senior research and decision-support positions in organisations such as government ministries, regional and local authorities, urban and country planning consultancies and private research institutes.
Summary of the Masters programme
The Human Geography and Planning MSc (HGPM) is a two-year programme, starting in September of each academic year.
The first year of HGPM comprises eight courses (60 ECTS):
* A course (7.5 ECTS) focusing on research frontiers in human geography and urban and regional planning;
* A course (7.5 ECTS) focusing on writing a research proposal and academic writing and presentation in English;
* A course (7.5 ECTS) focusing on writing a paper for a peer-reviewed scientific journal;
* Two courses (7.5 ECTS each) focusing on advanced and specialised research methods and techniques relevant for human geography and planning research;
* Two elective courses (7.5 ECTS each) focusing on theoretical specialisations in sub-disciplines of human geography and planning;
* A course (7.5 ECTS) in which preparations are made for writing the Masters thesis.
The second year of the programme (60 ECTS) consists of:
* A study period abroad;
* A Masters thesis research project (37.5 ECTS);
* A course (15 ECTS) in which the Masters thesis is used as a basis for writing:
* A publishable paper for a peer-reviewed scientific journal;
* A PhD research proposal;
* A course (7.5 ECTS) focusing on personal management competences and philosophy and the theory and ethics of social science.
Additional language requirements: * Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English: B1
* Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: C1
* IELTS overall band: 6.5
* IELTS writing: 6
* TOEFL paper based: 580
* TOEFL computer based: 237
* TOEFL internet based: 93
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|75 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||93|
Scholarships / Grants:
Utrecht University:The Geosciences Scholarship offers outstanding prospective non-Dutch students the opportunity to pursue a degree in one of the Master's programmes offered by the Graduate School of Geosciences. The scholarship programme is highly selective. For additional information: Website
TNO:For additional information: Website
Accredited by: NVAO in: Netherlands