Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The MSc Civil Engineering: Highways and Transportation provides the technical knowledge and skills to develop the analytical, decision-making and critical powers required to solve civil engineering problems, along with the transferable skills to enable a leading career in civil engineering.
An appealing feature of the MSc Civil Engineering is that the course allows you to augment the degree to include a subject theme (in this case, Highways and Transportation Engineering) through choosing specific modules in the first two semesters and completing a project related to your chosen theme.
Transportation and highway engineering are major components of civil engineering and are concerned with the planning, design, construction, maintenance and operation of transportation facilities and highways, including vehicular, cycle and pedestrian highways.
The University has a dedicated research centre; TheNottingham Transportation Engineering Centre (NTEC) which carries out research into the fields of transportaiton and pavement engineering and is now one of the world's a leading centre in this research area. The MSc Civil Engineering: Highways and Transportation draws on the expertise of the research staff and activities in NTEC.
* We have recently invested over £3m into upgrading our facilities
* The Faculty of Engineering conducts research that has been recognised by the Research Excellence Framework (2014) as being world-leading or internationally excellent, placing it in the UKs top ten universities for engineering
* The department has extensive links with industrial sponsors and other organisations, locally, nationally and internationally
* Our research is supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), UK industrial and commercial companies, UK government departments, charities and the European Union
The compulsory modules taken on this course are designed to give you a strong foundation in the skills and methodology necessary to successfully complete your research project over the summer period.
By taking the MSc Civil Engineering: Highways and Transportation, you will be expected to focus these core modules and your subsequent research project on an issue relating to highways and transportation engineering.
In addition, you will be able to choose from a number of optional modules to either further develop your studies in this area or to include other topics offered from an approved list of civil engineering modules.
The research project is a chance to carry out a major piece of independent research under the supervision of a suitable member of academic staff.
This degree is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
* Entry requirements:2.1 (Upper 2nd class hons degree or international equivalent)
* Including:Civil Engineering or closely related degrees
* Excluding:All Arts, Social Sciences, Sciences and most other Engineering subjects
* Other requirements:Applicants need to have studies multiple courses in Structures, Geotechnics and Fluids
* IELTS:6.5 (no less than 6.0 in any element)
* Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic:62 (minimum 55)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!