Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||Start in 1 September: April (non-EEA: April).|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2013|
|Credits:|| 60 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
This Master's programme offers you a cohesive study that examines theory, policy and current practice in globalised development, preparing you for research and analysis in the field.
The Master's programme in International Development Studies offers you a cohesive and balanced programme that examines the theory, policy and current practice of development by combining in-depth academic research with professional relevance. It is designed to equip you with all the theoretical and practical knowledge and hands-on skills needed to conduct policy analysis and problem-oriented research in a creative, effective and integrated way. You will examine international development issues across three different themes: sustainable development, governance, and interaction between globalisation and local/regional strategies. A key element of this one year taught programme is an internship within a host organisation, generally located in a developing region. This gives you the opportunity to gain a first-hand understanding of the impact of development processes, while you write an interim research report based on a central research question assigned by your host organisation. The research report will be presented to the host organisaiton, and may be used as the basis for your Master's thesis.
* A course on development theories in general and on the perspective taken by modern development geography in particular. This course analyses the most important approaches that characterise the analyses of different development-related areas of the discipline;
* A course discussing development themes, providing the students with conceptual and empirical knowledge of current development trends, from a geographical perspective. The course analyses the response of different actors to a variety of institutions, macro-policies and forces of globalization;
* An optional/elective course; it is strongly recommended that students opt for the course Development Practices, offered by IDS. Central to this course are the role and impact of the policies of development agencies and their interventions at the local and regional level.
* A course enhancing the skill level of the students in analyzing and interpreting both quantitative and qualitative research with a particular focus on geographical research in development contexts;
* A course in which the participants prepare for the research oriented internship abroad. The students are trained in the design and carrying out of a research, including the formulation of the research problem, objective and leading research questions;
* A period of one full semester in which you do a research-oriented internship with a professional organization, in a developing or transition/transformation country and write a Master thesis. The collection and analysis of data and report writing followed by the presentation of the results in a research seminar form a part of the internship. Upon completion of the internship you are to write a Master thesis based on the results.
In the course of the year, a number of required workshops are provided to give the students the optimal preparation for their further careers.
Additional language requirements: * Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English: B1
* Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: C1
* IELTS overall band: 6.5
* IELTS writing: 6
* TOEFL paper based: 580
* TOEFL computer based: 237
* TOEFL internet based: 93
|CAE score:||75(Grade B)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||580|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||237|
|TOEFL internet-based test score:||93|
Scholarships / Grants:
Utrecht University:\r\nThe Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective, non-Dutch students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University.\r\nFor additional information: Website
Accredited by: NVAO in: Netherlands
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.