Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The MEng Motorsport Engineering is a four-year integrated course that spans both undergraduate and postgraduate level, with the option of an additional industrial placement year. It is designed for students with high academic standards at A-level (or the equivalent).
Teaching, learning and assessment
Teaching methods vary according to the subject, but typically include lectures and seminars to provide a sound theoretical base, and practical work designed to demonstrate important aspects of theory or systems operation.
The methods of assessment include examinations and coursework reflecting the development of academic content from the more practical aspects to the more conceptual.
Full-time: 4 years (sandwich: 5 years)
Part-time: up to 9 years
For students entering with previous undergraduate study or qualifications, the MEng course is structured around two semesters a year over two years. Semester 1 runs from September to December, Semester 2 from January until May. Between the first and second years it is possible to take an elective industrial project during the summer months - subject to availability. The course is completed by May of the final year in time for graduation at the beginning of September. The course is also avaialable in sandwich mode, lasting for three years (full-time).
To qualify for a master's degree you must pass the compulsory modules and the dissertation. Elective modules provide you with the opportunity to broaden your range of skills and interests and to improve your overall average and gain merit or distinction in the award.
* Formula Student Design deals with advanced chassis design subjects and full vehicle characterisation using ISO standard tests. You will achieve a thorough understanding of the relevant theoretical and practical considerations associated with the tyres, ride and handling of a vehicle. You will learn how to perform advanced design analyses on cars. Roll-centre analysis, suspension analysis, half- and full-car analyses, weight transfer and roll-and-ride effects will be modelled. The analyses will be performed using the ADAMs Views dynamics analysis package and you will receive an introduction to the ADAMsCAR package. Brake systems, powertrain systems, engine tuning using in-house dyno and lap time simulation are just some of the various topics included in this module.
* Engineering Simulation and Modelling presents finite element modelling of structures containing composite materials, advanced simulation techniques using ADAMS, and an introduction to MATLAB.
* Advanced Engineering Management provides an understanding of the management skills and knowledge that are important in the motorsport industry. The areas studied are project management, leadership, team building and motivation, employment legislation and health and safety. Although the emphasis is on the motorsport industry, many of these areas will cover knowledge and skills that are highly relevant to the wider automotive industry.
* CAD/CAM is a master's level module developing skills in using state-of-the-art design and manufacturing software.
* Advanced Strength of Components is concerned with the prediction of the load-carrying capacity and life of mechanical engineering components by an analysis of factors such as inelastic behaviour, residual stress, stability, cracks, and fatigue and contact loading.
* Advanced Materials Engineering and Joining Technology takes further the detailed processing and design of advanced materials for engineering products. The significance of the properties and composition of materials is explored in relation to the selection of joining processes and optimising joint design, for the manufacture of high performance engineering products and structures.
* Racing Engine Design is a double module with one of the country's foremost experts in engine design, who has held senior technical posts with Cosworth, and various F1 teams.
* Numerical Methods and Applications provides an introduction to the concepts of numerical methods and applications of these methods.
* Industrial Project is an industrially based module in an automotive company, taking on a project with significant responsibility.
Teaching staff are drawn primarily from the School of Technology. Visiting speakers from business and industry provide further input. The programme benefits from the rigorous validation and review processes at the University, and the external examiners are very positive about the course.
Credits and modules
Oxford Brookes operates the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). All postgraduate single modules are equivalent to 10 ECTS credits, double modules to 20 ECTS credits, and treble modules to 30 ECTS credits. A full master's course will carry 90 ECTS credits.
Students who wish to join in Year 1 should normally have 240 points at A2-level or the equivalent A1, Scottish or Irish Higher Certificates. These should include maths and preferably, but not strictly always, either physics or engineering science. Years 1 and 2 of the course are run in parallel with the BEng programme.
Progression from BEng to the MEng programme is only possible for the most able students. Students with previous undergraduate study or qualifications can be considered for admission to later years of the MEng programme. These places are awarded on an individual basis subject to interview.
Applicants with a good BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering might want to consider applying for our one- year MSc programme as an alternative to joining part way through the MEng course.
If your first language is not English you must satisfy our English language requirement by providing us with evidence of a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 computer-based), or IELTS score of 6.0.
|CAE score:||75 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||550|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||213|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.