|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||36 months|
|Duration part-time:||36 months|
|Student interaction:||Online group works/assignments|
|Attendance:||Regular mandatory meetings|
|Teacher support:||Continuous support with feedback on request|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The programme is designed for all doctors working in occupational medicine, particularly those in specialist training posts who intend to prepare for their professional examinations with the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FOM).
It also gives those who wish to pursue an additional academic qualification the chance to obtain an MSc in Occupational Medicine, awarded by the university. The programme adheres closely to the syllabus requirements of the FOM (London and Ireland); however it also aims to furnish an overview of the whole spectrum of medicine and hygiene within the sphere of work.
The third year of the MSc aims to impart a sound understanding of the theory, practice and methods required to carry out a valid piece of scientific research. The programme structure provides qualifications at the following levels:
* CPD Diploma (PG Credit)
* Postgraduate Certificate in Occupational Medicine
* Advanced Diploma in Occupational Medicine
* MSc in Occupational Medicine
The programme comprises:
* A blend of specially commissioned written materials in electronic format (PDF), together with interactive teaching material - all delivered via the University's Virtual Learning Environment, Blackboard
* In year 1 students are required to attend in Manchester for a 1-day seminar associated with Module 1 in month 3 and the same for Module 2 in month 5 for September starters and in month 6 for April starters and for one exam day in month 10
* Students are allocated to tutorial groups for Modules 4 to 8, each supported by a specialist in occupational medicine. Tutorials are delivered via teleconference
* In year 2, students are required to attend in Manchester for a 4-day practical course in month 5 and for one exam day in month 10
* In year 3, students are required to attend a 3-day Research Methods course held at the University in month 1.
* Students undertaking the CPD Diploma will follow the first 6 months of year 1; that is Modules 1-2 and the portfolio aspect of Module 3.
Course unit details
Module 1: Foundation for Postgraduate Practice
* Occupational Health in Perspective
* Introduction to Occupational Health Law
* Introduction to Communication
* Ethical Considerations in Practice
* Introduction to Toxicology
* Introduction to Occupational Hygiene
* Introduction to Lighting
* Introduction to Temperature and Work
* Introduction to Noise and Vibration
* Introduction to Hazardous Substances
Module 2: Fitness for Work
* Recognising Occupational Disease
* Introduction to Occupational Dermatology
* Introduction to Musculoskeletal Disorders
* Introduction to the Respiratory System
* Introduction to Infectious Diseases
* Mental Ill Health and Stress at Work
* Introduction to Epidemiology
* Health Assessment, Surveillance and Screening
* Sickness Absence
* Disability Assessment
Module 3: Health and Workability
* Workplace and Clinical Assessment Skills: the Portfolio
* Advanced Occupational Health Law
* Health Promotion
* Ageing and Employment
* Shift Work and Circadian Rhythms
* Rehabilitation and Return to Work
* Choosing a Research Topic and Literature Review
* Developing the Research Question
* Common Mental Health Problems and the Workplace
Module 4: Aspects of Good Professional Behaviour
* Professional Behaviour/Leadership and Teamwork
* Clinical Governance
* Quality and Audit
* Standard Setting
* Business Needs in the Provision of an Occupational Health Service
Module 5: Understanding Physical Agents
* Compressed Air Work and Commercial Diving
* Temperature and Work
* Light and Vision
Module 6: Management of Occupationally Related Disease
* Respiratory Disorders
* Occupational Dermatoses
* Musculoskeletal Disorders
* Occupational Cancers
* Aviation Medicine
* Infectious Diseases
* Medically Unexplained Symptoms
* Module 7: Research Methods and Data Analysis
* Epidemiology & Statistics
* Life Long Learning/Teaching and Appraisal
* Evidence Based Medicine (EBM)
* Critical Appraisal
* Social Research Methods
* Information Technology
Module 8: Management of Workplace Hazards
* Industry and Environment
* Occupational Hygiene Practice
* Food Hygiene
* Prevention of Accidents
* Principles of Toxicology
* Occupational Health in a Global Market
Potential students must hold a medical degree from an approved institution. No experience in occupational medicine is necessary.
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
International students play a huge part at The University of Manchester our student population hails from 154 countries.
Choose Manchester and youll put yourself ahead of the competition when the time comes to begin your career. With an award-winning careers service and courses built with your employability in mind, its no surprise that 91% of our graduates go straight into jobs or further study.
Were part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities and our research and teaching quality is recognised across the globe, but our support for international students is just as important to us. Well help you at all stages, from before you apply to when you arrive and youll be supported at all times while youre here.
In addition, the welcoming, accessible and multicultural environment that is the city of Manchester provides the ideal base for your time studying in the UK.
Well give you an experience that will prepare you for a lifetime of achievement.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!