Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Specialisms include the question of artistic representation of the Nazi atrocities in literature and film, the study of life histories affected by the Holocaust, the responses by German-speaking intellectuals to Nazi politics, and the impact of the Shoah on post-war Jewish culture and religion across the Western world. The MA also provides a thorough grounding in critical theoretical approaches to literary and cultural studies, and makes students conversant with the methods of scholarly research in the humanities and with the resources necessary for that research.
Course aimsThe course aims to : * make students fully conversant with the methods of scholarly research in a humanities discipline and the resources necessary for such research.
* equip students for further study and research.
* provide graduates holding a first degree in a modern European language or languages with the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the literature and culture of one or more areas where these languages are spoken.
* provide a thorough grounding in modern critical theoretical approaches to literary and cultural studies.
* provide for graduates without a first degree in a modern European language a programme of study that introduces them to the study of the literature and culture of one or more areas within Europe and/or Latin America, and to be familiar with key primary texts from these areas in translation.
Please note, some information in this section will change for 2009 entry. For details of postgraduate course units currently on offer, please refer to the MA in European Languages and Cultures 2008-2009 Programme Handbook.
Compulsory course units are: Research Methods I and II. Optional course units available may typically include:
* Trauma and Memory in 20 th Century French Life Writing
* Jewish Culture in the German-Speaking Context
* Remembering the Second World War after the Collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe
* Holocaust Theology and the Problem of Evil
* Holocaust Representations in Visual Culture
* Cultural Memory and the Holocaust
* War, Conflict and Culture
* Gender and War in the Twentieth Century
* Jewish Culture in the German-speaking Context
For the 30 credits that can be taken from other areas, course units in Jewish Studies may be of particular interest. For a complete list, see Students may also integrate a course unit in practical language study into their programme.
Full entry requirements
Academic entry qualification overview: An upper second class Honours degree, or the overseas equivalent. The course is open to students with no prior knowledge of a continental European language. The course attracts graduates in modern languages and cultures who wish to broaden their area studies expertise at postgraduate level as well as social science and history graduates who wish to specialise in Holocaust Studies.
Students whose first language is not English require an overall IELTS score of 7.0 with 7.0 in the writing component or a TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based test), 250 (computer-based test) or 100 (internet-based test).
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|180 (Grade C)|
Sign in to find all related scholarships and all information about funding here.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!