Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The programme aims to provide English language teachers and graduates with relevant teaching experience an opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the field of English Language Teaching (hereafter ELT) at both the theoretical and the practical level.
Topics covered on the programme are language systems and language skills, ELT methodology, principles and practice of materials design and evaluation, second language acquisition theory, the global spread of English, the rise of new Englishes, the political and cultural dimensions of teaching English as an international language, curriculum and course design, and testing.
In addition, the programme provides an overview of the theoretical, philosophical, and ethical principles which underpin educational research and introduces students to the theory and practice of action research.
English Language Teaching (ELT) at UEL
The MA in ELT provides:
* A flexible credit based programme leading towards a higher degree with a strong focus on classroom practice
* An opportunity for teachers to become familiar with the principles and practice of action research
* An opportunity for teachers from a wide range of countries and varied educational contexts to meet and exchange ideas
* The option of interim awards at certificate and diploma level for students who are unable to complete the programme
* The opportunity for students to combine face-to-face modules with modules from the MA ELT by distance learning.
The MA ELT consists of four modules and a dissertation which includes research methods training. The programme has a strong action research focus which will enable students to carry out classroom-based research projects. In addition, the role of materials is considered at all levels of theory and practice.
The programme is designed to be flexible and compatible with the lives of working teachers. For this reasons students may opt to begin the programme in September or February. The MA is full-time over one year, although some students may wish to study part-time in which case modules may be spread over six years in consultation with the programme leader.
Students who have accumulated 60 credits by completing two modules may be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate, and students who have accumulated 120 credits by completing four modules may be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma. The MA is awarded to students who have accumulated 180 credits by completing all four modulesand the dissertation.
The programme is delivered in lecture and seminar format and aims to promote collaborative learning. Thus lectures and seminars encourage group discussions which provide students with the opportunity to pool experiences, share problems and solutions, and discuss issues raised in lectures in the light of their own practice. To facilitate this collaborative aspect of the learning all students are encouraged to form study groups. Secondly, supported self-study is fostered through the writing of individual module assignments, and through independent research which is negotiated with tutor support.
Thirdly, reflective learning is encouraged through the use of self-reflection tasks which accompany all written assignments. In these, students are asked to reflect critically on their learning, the strategies they use to facilitate this, and to assess the strengths and weaknesses of their own work.
* Application form and references
* A first degree in the Social Sciences or Humanities (e.g. Languages, English, Education, Psychology, etc.)
* Evidence of relevant classroom experience
* An IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent in the case of international students (applicants should have a minimum score of 6 in all components)
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.