Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The MA Special Educational Needs (SEN) is designed to critically engage with current thinking and ideas about inclusive and specialist education for both general and specific needs, and draws upon current legislation and national/international research evidence to inform practice. The programme addresses SEN for a wide range of age groups and covers issues such as assessment and intervention, partnerships with parents, inter-agency working, pupil intervention, equal opportunities and policy. The programme is relevant to both mainstream and specialist settings.
MA Special Educational Needs at UEL
The programme is designed to be responsive to the specific cultural, historic and practical context of individual organisations, and of individual participants.
Your future career
The programme will provide participants with the capacity to meet legislative requirements for pupils with SEN and to meet specific and general needs of learners. The programme supports the development of the SENCO role and provides opportunities to specialise in specific areas of SEN.
The typical duration of this programme is 2 years part time. Participants may enrol for the start of the autumn, spring or summer term
This programme is designed to give you the opportunity to:
* Develop skills of early identification, intervention and assessment for a wide range of special educational needs
* Maximise curriculum access and provide high standards of support for pupils with special educational needs
* Promote positive social and emotional development and behaviour
* Develop detailed knowledge and understanding of specific needs
* Facilitate and support inter-agency working and working with parents
What will you learn?
It is expected that by the end of the programme participants will have the ability to:
* Demonstrate understanding and knowledge of specific Special Educational Needs/Disabilities (SEND) within a school-based context (PG Cert, PG Dip, MA)
* Show critical awareness of current literature and research concerning SEND (PG Cert, PG Dip, MA)
* Demonstrate critical understanding and analysis of current policies, strategies and approaches towards meeting the needs of students with SEND in schools (PG Dip, MA)
* Analyse and reflect on current strategies, approaches and practices concerning SEND within school context (PG Cert, PG Dip, MA)
* Engage critically and reflectively with school SEND practice in relation to literature, research and current policies (PG Dip, MA)
* Critically evaluate and select relevant pedagogical and whole school approaches to meeting the needs of a wide range of students (MA)
Subject-Based Practical skills/ skills for life and work (general skills)
* Demonstrate professional skills in addressing SEND in schools (PG Cert, PG Dip, MA)
* Systematically gather evidence and use data for analysis, identification of key issues and development of professional practice in SEND (PG Dip, MA)
* Explore and demonstrate evidence-based decision making in relation to school-based practice for students with SEND (MA)
* Demonstrate systematic and creative approaches to addressing issues of SEND within the school context and communicate ideas and arguments to a wider audience (MA)
Entry requirements are flexible to allow for credit to be given to work based learning through AEL (Accreditation of Experiential Learning) Applicants must: have an undergraduate honours degree (or equivalent: e.g. certificate of education; higher level professional training in SEN with demonstrable parity in experience), minimum 2:2 classification or equivalent.
In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then IELTS 7 (or equivalent) is required. International qualifications will be checked for appropriate matriculation to UK Higher Education postgraduate programmes.
It is recommended that applicants are able to spend some time each week in an educational setting, on a paid or voluntary basis in order to gain maximum benefit from the practice based focus of the learning and assessment on this programme.
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.