Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
This modular programme aims to produce postgraduate students with a sound knowledge of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. The programme covers practical, theoretical aspects and the necessary skills to undertake individual and collaborative research in this field. This programme has been designed for students wishing to make a career in the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical industry, medical and academic or any field where a knowledge of bioinformatics is desirable.
MSc in Bioinformatics at UEL
The programme offer a mix of traditional Bioinformatics with an introduction to the cutting edge of research at the molecular level . The focus of the programme is not simply on the state of current knowledge but also the methodology used in obtaining that knowledge, making use of recent research papers to inform class discussion. In addition to taught modules in the field you will also be trained in research processes, culminating in an individual research project which will give you the opportunity to demonstrate your individual skills and abilities.
* One year full time or two years part time for MSc and PG Diploma.
* One year part time for PG Certificate.
* Part time students take one optional module in semester A and one in semester B. In year two they take one optional module in semester A and the research skill module in semester B. The project is carried out in year 2.
* Taught modules are delivered in a semesterised system, with semesters running from September to January and February to June. The research projects will run through the summer period.
* Learning is encouraged through participation in a wide variety of activities including lectures, seminars, workshops, laboratory-based practicals, web-based learning etc.
* In addition all students are expected to read extensively in their own time. Much of this reading will be directed.
* Success at university depends on developing your ability to study independently using library resources, Computer-assisted learning (CAL), handouts and web-based study activities.
* These skills are reinforced in modules in the first semester. These enable us to assess your independent learning needs at university, and also help to develop those transferable skills so important in working life. The skills with which you start the programme may vary considerably between individuals, so your personal tutor will direct your skills development work on an individual basis.
* Students are assessed in practical work and theory.
* In taught modules 40% of the module mark is derived from coursework during the semester (this can take a variety of forms including laboratory work, data analysis, essays, oral presentations etc.) and the remaining 60% from written theory examinations at the end of the semester.
* The Research Skills module is assessed by coursework involving a variety of forms of presentation.
* The Research Project is assessed mainly by the final written report, with contributions from a poster presentation and portfolio.
* The pass mark for all modules is 50%
For entry to this programme, students are required to have qualifications equivalent to a honours degree from a UK university in a relevant subject or experience. For overseas students there is a requirement for an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher (or equivalent), TOEFL score of 650 or an equivalent. Applicants whose qualifications do not conform to these criteria may be admitted to the programme at the admission tutors discretion which will normally involve an interview.
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||650|
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.