|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015, February 2016|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The MSc in Bioscience is a broad programme that provides you with a sound knowledge of both the practical and theoretical aspects of bioscience and the necessary skills to undertake individual and collaborative research. The programme has a wide appeal, from working scientists to science teachers wanting to update their knowledge of the latest trends in bioscience.
MSc Bioscience at UEL
The Masters in Bioscience would allow students to design their own interdisciplinary masters programme from a list of over 16 modules. The programme will also have the added benefit of allowing students who have failed key modules on their chosen specialist programme to complete a masters by redesigning their programme. The greater flexibility of the masters in bioscience programme will also allow more local students to join the programme.
* One year full time or two years part time for MSc and PG Diploma.
* One year part time for PG Certificate.
* Part time students take one optional module in semester A and one in semester B. In year two they take one optional module in semester A and the research skill module in semester B. The project is carried out in year 2.
* Taught modules are delivered in a semesterised system, with semesters running from September to January and February to June. The research projects will run through the summer period
* Learning is encouraged through participation in a wide variety of activities including lectures, seminars, workshops, laboratory-based practicals, web-based learning etc.
* In addition all students are expected to read extensively in their own time. Much of this reading will be directed.
* Success at university depends on developing your ability to study independently using library resources, Computer-assisted learning (CAL), handouts and web-based study activities.
* These skills are reinforced in modules in the first semester. These enable us to assess your independent learning needs at university, and also help to develop those transferable skills so important in working life. The skills with which you start the programme may vary considerably between individuals, so your personal tutor will direct your skills development work on an individual basis.
* Students are assessed in practical work and theory.
* In taught modules 40% of the module mark is derived from coursework during the semester (this can take a variety of forms including laboratory work, data analysis, essays, oral presentations etc.) and the remaining 60% from written theory examinations at the end of the semester.
* The Research Skills module is assessed by coursework involving a variety of forms of presentation.
* The Research Project is assessed mainly by the final written report, with contributions from a poster presentation and portfolio.
* The pass mark for all modules is 50%
Relevance to work/profession
* The curriculum is tailored to current demand in a range areas in the bioscience field.
* Emphasis is placed on the development of skills as well as academic knowledge.
* Part-time students in relevant employment may be permitted to carry out research projects at their place of work.
* Project work is an essential component of a Masters degree programme and one that most students enjoy. Small projects and group work exercises feature throughout the programme.
* The individual research project is the culmination of the programme makes up 33% of the programme.
* Project work encourages students to show initiative in their individual work under supervision, using appropriate analytical techniques to generate and interpret new data.
* Dissertation preparation develops literature researching, presentation and written communication skills essential in professional life.
For entry to this programme, students are required to have qualifications equivalent to a honours degree from a UK university in a relevant subject or experience. For overseas students there is a requirement for an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher (or equivalent), TOEFL score of 650 or an equivalent. Applicants whose qualifications do not conform to these criteria may be admitted to the programme at the admission tutors discretion which will normally involve an interview.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|180 (Grade C)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||650|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!