Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The University of East London has offered the Master of Research (MRes) Programme since September 2003. The programme is also available as a postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma. The following gives a brief introduction to the programme.
The University of East London is keen to encourage applications from overseas students. For taught postgraduate programmes such as the M.Res those with an equivalent degree classification of a first from a recognised university may receive a scholarship of £2,000. Likewise, students with a degree classification of Upper or Lower Second from a recognised university may receive a scholarship of £1,500 or £1,000.
The MRes programme aims to prepare students to undertake advanced research in academic, industrial settings and to provide a foundation for doctoral study. Students are introduced to debates about the nature of research and theories of knowledge production and are helped to develop a range of personal and professional skills necessary for the organisation and management of research. Training in a variety of research approaches and methods is provided.
* Strong emphasis is given to the development of skills in collaborative teamwork
* Students work in interdisciplinary groups to prepare presentations and to organise a research conference
* Individual research projects leading to a dissertation may be carried out in a wide range of specialist areas
* Learning from experience about real-world research problems and projects is promoted wherever possible
* For the MRes programme, the entrance requirement is an Honours degree or postgraduate diploma or professional qualification recognised as equivalent to an Honours degree. Other qualifications or experience which demonstrate that a candidate possesses appropriate knowledge and skills at Honours degree standard may be acceptable. The entrance requirement for the Postgraduate Certificate or for the Postgraduate Diploma award is a degree or other qualification at equivalent level. A lower qualification together with appropriate experience or, exceptionally, substantial related experience alone, may be acceptable.
The MRes programme may be completed in one-year in full-time mode or within six years from first registration in part-time mode. After successful completion of the two core modules, two option modules and a dissertation, students will be awarded the degree of Master of Research.
Students who successfully complete the two core modules will be eligible for the award of Postgraduate Certificate in Research.
Students who successfully complete the two core modules plus two further optional modules will be eligible for the award of Postgraduate Diploma in Research.
The programme employs a wide variety of teaching and learning methods, including lectures, staff- and student-led seminars, skills workshops, simulation exercises, group projects and independent study.
Assessment is by coursework and a dissertation. Assessed coursework includes essays, reflective accounts of students' learning, literature reviews, written reports on the research process, individual and group presentations, and group projects. Taught modules are assessed at the end of each semester. There are no unseen examinations.
* Students choose their own topics and settings for specialist research studies, and may undertake work-based research if they wish
* Research attachments to project teams may be arranged as part of the programme
* Students on research attachments will be assigned project-based mentors
The programme prepares students for research at doctoral level, and for careers in research in a wide range of academic, professional and industrial settings.
* Students have opportunities to engage with a wide range of experienced researchers through seminars, workshops, conferences and research attachments
* Students are encouraged to participate in the full range of research seminar series and public lectures organised at UEL, to involve themselves in relevant professional groups and learned societies, and to attend and present at local, national and international research events.
Successful completion of the MRes reduces the minimum registration period for a PhD to 24 months in full-time mode and 36 months in part-time.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.