|Application deadline:||as early as possible|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 180 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This new course provides a unique mix of multimedia and interaction design processes, design of 3D virtual reality and animation media, AV media and effects, and intelligent media combined with real and virtual studio and on-location multimedia creation. It not only focuses on the creative art and design aspects of digital media, but also on the theory and practice of the technical tools and techniques required for creating intelligent, interactive real and virtual reality media through the development of design and technology knowledge, understanding and skills.
The Master of Science programme in Multimedia Design and Virtual Reality Technologies aims to develop a thorough knowledge of the design principles and techniques required for the design of combined real and virtual interactive and intelligent multimedia and an appreciation of the current research directions and opportunities that are available in this field of research.
Specific aims of this programme are to:
* Develop advanced knowledge and skills relevant to the design and creation of combined real and virtual interactive and intelligent multimedia and tools to assist in the creation of combined real and virtual interactive and intelligent multimedia.
* Develop the ability of designing complex combined real and virtual interactive and intelligent multimedia creations, and the versatility to apply a variety of different design tools and technologies across a range of different media areas to realise the creation.
* Develop creativity and independent learning ability required for continuing professional development, further research, and for acquiring new skills at a high level.
The programme fully prepares students for work in multimedia companies that develop rich media content.
Specific roles graduates are expected to enter include:
* 3D Graphics Designers and Animators
* Audio Visual Pre- and Post-Production Designers
* Real and Virtual Studio Designers
* Games Designers and Programmers
* Multimedia Learning Tool Designers
* Broadcast TV Media Designers
* 2nd Generation Internet Media Designers
* 4th Generation Cellular Media Designers
The programme also prepares students to carry out related academic research. A number of students in various disciplines within the School have stayed on to carry out a PhD at Brunel University. On average, one student of high academic achievement per year is offered a PhD position.
The course is delivered through a mix of lectures, workshops, self-study and individual and group project work. In lectures key concepts and ideas are introduced, definitions are stated, results and techniques are explained, and immediate queries are discussed. Workshops and projects are used to foster practical engagement with the taught material.
The dissertation plays a key role in deepening understanding, in developing research and literature review skills, and in applying knowledge and skills gained in the programme to plan, execute, and evaluate a significant investigation into a current problem area related to the design of multimedia artefacts.
* 3D Virtual Reality Technologies (30 credits)
* Multimedia and Interaction Design (30 credits)
* Audio Visual Post Production (30 credits)
* Intelligent Media Design (15 credits)
* Multimedia Research Directions (15 credits)
* Dissertation (60 credits)
A UK first or second class Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised qualification usually in Multimedia Technology or a related subject. Students from Film TV and Media Studies that show promise of technical aptitude and students from Information Technology that show design aptitude will also be considered. Other qualifications and relevant experience will be assessed on an individual basis.
Overseas applicants must have a minimum level of English language qualifications: IELTS score 6.0 with a minimum of 5 in each subsection; TOEFL (computer-based) score 213 and 4 in essay rating (TWE); TOEFL (paper-based) score 550 and 4 in essay rating (TWE).
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||550|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||213|
The Brunel International Scholarship
The Brunel International Scholarship is an annual award scheme designed to promote talent and encourage excellence in scholars coming to Brunel from around the globe. For 2010/11, 35 awards of either £3,000 or £2,000 are available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students who have been offered a place on a full-time course at Brunel.
All applications must be submitted online before 26 May 2010.
Bursaries may be available from your School, and your course director once you have secured and accepted a place on a course for information on any funding opportunities.
* A limited number of part-scholarships of £1,500 are available for the MA programmes in Music and Drama. Details will be sent to candidates who have confirmed their intention to study at Brunel in the 2010/11 academic year.
* The Leaders of Tomorrow PhD Bursary in Human Centred Design is supported by a donation from Brunel graduate and philanthropist Peter Ilori. The bursary provides £5,000 of financial support towards the study fees of high-achieving graduates who wish to pursue a PhD in Human Centred Design. Selection is based on the quality of applicants´ PhD study proposal.
Extra-curricular scholarships do not cover living costs or tuition fees. They are available to both taught and research students.
A number of Music Awards to help cover music tuition costs are made each year to students who are not studying music performance as part of their academic course.
The Brunel Sports Scholarship helps elite performance athletes by supporting their academic study and sporting needs simultaneously
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.