|Application deadline:||International applicants; July 11|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is designed for students from a variety of backgrounds who have varied levels of biotechnology experience. It aims to equip you with an understanding of the principles and practices that underpin contemporary biotechnology and with the knowledge base and skills required for employment in the biotechnology industry.
The programme covers the scientific principles necessary for an advanced understanding of contemporary industrial biotechnology and develops generic practical skills in handling micro-organisms, molecular biological techniques and data analysis. It examines the fundamental role played by micro-organisms in the turnover of pollutants, the search and discovery of commercially significant natural products, and the production of novel biological compounds. The programme also explores areas of related interest such as bioethics, regulatory affairs and the role of intellectual property in biotechnology.
* BIO8043 Practical Techniques in Molecular Biology
* BIO8044 Gene Technology
* BIO8045 Genetically Engineered Organisms: Food, Pharmaceutical and Industrial Sectors
* BIO8046 Applied Bioinformatics
* BIO8096 MSc Industrial and Commercial Biotechnology Thesis
* CME8020 Modelling and Control in Bioprocess Systems
You will take a further 20 credits from the following:
* BIO8009 Fundamentals of Cell and Molecular Biology
* BIO8010 Bioremediation
* BIO8041 Antimicrobial Drug Discovery
* BIO8047 Entrepreneurship in Biotechnology
* BIO8052 Introductory Quantitative Methods