Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This advanced course focuses on enabling you to become proficient in communicating across a range of different disciplines and delivering optimised engineering solutions using an integrated multidisciplinary mechatronics approach. You will be exposed to a broad range of engineering disciplines, be able to solve multidisciplinary mechatronics problems and develop the skills to apply a mechatronic approach to the solution of technical problems.
Research is carried out by the Mechatronics Research Centre, which holds a considerable number of UK and EU research project grants and has collaborative research links with more than 100 national and international organisations. The group is internationally regarded and specialises in machine design, control and simulation, fluid power systems and motion control. As part of your studies, you will be offered opportunities to work on projects with research groups within the centre who are engaged in high class, leading-edge research and industrial collaboration and consultancy.
During the project element of the course, the Intelligent Machines and Automation Systems (IMAS) Research Laboratory provides access to dedicated research facilities.
Graduates enjoy exciting career opportunities from a wide range of industries including robotics and automation, machine vision, manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, consumer products, material processing, energy and power. They are likely to be employed as engineers, senior engineers and project leaders or managers for roles in design and 185 Mechatronics MSc/PG Dip/PG Cert development, research and development, electromechanical, automation and control, manufacturing, product development, field support and maintenance, system integration, commissioning and installation, test and verification, or any engineering role where understanding interdisciplinary issues with insights is vital. You will also be prepared to undertake PhD study.
First semester (September to January)
Broadening studies (12 weeks plus three weeks assessment). Four modules with an emphasis on case studies:
* Electromechanics provides an insight into the fundamental theory and application underpinning electronics, mechanics, and mechatronic systems engineering. Also introduces the principles of electromagnetism, piezoelectric and MicroMechatronics/MEMS
* Mechatronic Systems - Engineering and Design introduces you to system engineering and the philosophies of design and provides the basic tools and rules for analysis of systems and integrated design concepts and evaluation techniques. Exposes you to rational assessment of a range of studies of electro-mechanical system design
* Engineering Business Environment and Energy Studies provides an awareness of the commercial environment and the need for operational efficiency within manufacturing businesses. The use of sustainable approaches to production will also be examined
* Programming and Software Engineering develops the knowledge of efficient programming approaches to software engineering with an emphasis on the development of practical programming skills. Modular programming in C provides the basis for many signal and image processing software and programming techniques.
Second semester (February to May)
Advanced studies (12 weeks plus three weeks of assessment). Four modules intended to deepen knowledge of some of the tools required by practising Mechatronic engineers:
* Machine Vision, Robotics and Flexible Automation provides both conceptual and detailed knowledge in the area of robotics, machine vision and flexible automation. Also builds upon the fundamental philosophy of mechatronics in the context of flexible automation technologies and applications
* Engineering Systems: Dynamics and Control develops your ability to critically analyse engineering problems involving dynamics and control issues, as well as your experimental and theoretical skills. Control and dynamics are key technologies in the mechatronics design approach
* Microprocessor Applications and Digital Signal Processing provides knowledge for the application of microprocessor systems, aimed at single-chip embedded solutions as being appropriate to a productorientated treatment. Also provides the knowledge of DSP algorithms and systems and an understanding of implementation technologies, designs and application areas
* Research Methods introduces the fundamentals of research methods in an engineering context. It will prepare you for the individual research project through undertaking lectures, seminars and assignments that introduce and develop the concepts, organisational structure and deliverables of a research project.
Individual Project (Stage three)
This research can be industrially-based or linked to an industrial partner, attached to one of the mechatronic-related research teams within the faculty or in other collaborating institutions. The research project should be in an area relevant to Mechatronics, where clear evidence of the ability to solve a real multidisciplinary problem is demonstrated. The project assessment involves a formal presentation, production of a technical paper and a thesis.
Teaching is delivered through a variety of methods including lectures, tutorials and laboratories. You will be expected to undertake self-directed study.
You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:2 minimum) in a relevant subject such as electrical, electronic, mechanical, computer or software engineering or a physical science discipline. If you don't have formal academic qualifications but have extensive industry experience you will be considered individually.
Students whose first language is not English and/or have not been taught and examined solely in an English medium will generally need to provide evidence of their English language in the form of an IELTS or recognised equivalent examination The score required is typically IELTS 6.0 for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught courses within the Faculty of Technology.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.