|Application deadline:||January 15;|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||90 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme mirrors the general MSc Economics programme, but contains an additional core module in Advanced Econometrics. Whilst this module is available elsewhere, it is only compulsory in the MSc Economics and Econometrics. The programme aims to provide you with a rigorous training in the techniques of economic and econometric analysis, as an aide to understanding contemporary economic issues. Our MSc Economics and Econometrics provides a solid foundation in economics, together with advanced teaching in econometrics, and is ideal for anyone wanting a career involving econometrics or economic research.
We are very proud of our graduates who have careers across a broad range of sectors and are working all over the world. Example destinations of recent graduates of the School's postgraduate programmes include:
* Director, Strategic Matters UK
* Business Analyst, Dresdner Kleinwort
* Operations Specialist, Bear Stearns
* Business Consultant, Transition Consulting
* Account Executive, IMG
* Financial Business Analyst, Reuters
* Chartered Financial Analyst, 7city Learning
* Equity Analyst, Japanese Bank
* Trainee Fund Manager, Scottish Widows
* Finance Analyst, The Arcadia Group
* Business Analyst, Dresdner Kleinwort
* Assistant Economist, Customs and Excise
* Economist, Bank of Estonia
* PhD Statistics, London School of Economics and Political Science
* Associate Lecturer, Universidad de Castilla, Spain (PhD Economics)
* Risk Analyst, GE Capita
* Trainee Accountant, Citibank
* Investment Analyst, Stamford Associates
* Account Manager, Renaissance Group, Nicosia
* Investment Analyst, Capital Finance
* Senior Executive, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Prague
* Economist, Civil Service
* Global Share Dealer, Deloitte
* Ship Broker, Ssy
* Banker, Standard and Chartered
This programme is available for study 12 months full-time over three terms and is University-based throughout this time. The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, leaving the third term and most of the summer to research, write and submit your dissertation. The programme in its entirety runs from October to September.
During the programme you will study modules (including the dissertation) totalling 180 credits. Please note that all options are available timetable permitting and may change.
Please note that programme structures may be subject to change.
Module / Credits
* Research Design and Dissertation (BEEM115) / 60
* Advanced Econometrics (BEEM113) / 15
* Macroeconomics (BEEM100) / 15
* Microeconomics (BEEM101) / 15
* Optimisation Techniques for Economists (BEEM103) / 15
* Quantitative Research Techniques I (BEEM102) / 15
* Either Quantitative Research Techniques II (BEEM112) orFinancial Econometrics (BEEM116) / 15
You will choose two options totalling 30 credits from a regularly updated selection. Recent modules are shown below:
Module / Credits
* Advanced Finance Theory (BEEM114) / 15
* Banking and Financial Services (BEAM033) / 15
* Domestic and International Portfolio Management (BEAM036) / 15
* Economics of Banking (BEEM119) / 15
* Economics of Corporate Finance (BEEM117) / 15
* Experimental Economics and Finance (BEEM109) / 15
* Financial Econometrics (BEEM116) / 15
* Game Theory and Industrial Organisation (BEEM121) / 15
* Growth and Development (BEEM106) / 15
* International Macroeconomics and Finance (BEEM111) / 15
* International Trade and Regional Integration (BEEM108) / 15
* Public Economics (BEEM107) / 15
* Quantitative Research Techniques II (BEEM112) / 15
* Topics in Financial Economics (BEAM029) / 15
Learning and teaching
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including members of industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments. As a postgraduate students in the Department of Economics you will be able to participate in the established Economics Seminar Series.
Modules are assessed through a mixture of group work, coursework, project work and examinations; the weighting of each of these components will vary according to the academic requirements of the module. Examinations are normally held at the end of the module, in January and May/June.
A 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in an economics or finance-related discipline from a recognised institution. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative ability is also required.
English language requirements
* IELTS overall score of 6.5, with no less than 6.0 in any section.
* TOEFL IBT overall score of 92, with no less than 22 in any section.
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
Sign in to find all related scholarships and all information about funding here.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.