|Application deadline:||May 1 for non-EU citizens / June 1 for EU-citizens|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2014|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master of Science in Microsystems Engineering is taught in English and was offered for the first time in the Winter Semester of 2007/08. It was designed for students from Germany and abroad with a bachelor degree in microsystems engineering or a related discipline (electrical and mechanical engineering, mechatronics).
The MSc in Microsystems Engineering complies with the Bologna Declaration for European education. It provides students with an excellent education in Microsystems Engineering and qualifies them for an industrial career in research and development or further studies in a PhD programme. The programmes highly interdisciplinary curriculum offers a wide variety of electives, ensuring that students acquire a broad spectrum of the skills needed to keep abreast with this dynamic and rapidly evolving field.
The curriculum comprises courses in Assembly and packaging technology, Microelectronics, Micro-mechanics, MST design, Optical microsystems, Sensors, Signal processing, Dynamics of MEMS, Micro-actuators, biomedical microsystems, Micro-fluidics, MST design as well as Probability and statistics.
Concentrations are offered in the areas of
* Circuits and systems
* Design and simulation
* Life sciences: Biomedical engineering
* Life sciences: Lab-on-a-chip
* Process engineering
* Sensors and actuators
In the second year, students are required to write a one-year Master's thesis, based on project work performed directly in a professor's research group, thus giving the graduate extensive, hands-on experience using state-of-the-art microsystems infrastructure.
The English language masters degree programme in Microsystems Engineering has been designed for national and international students with a bachelors degree in a field closely related to microsystems engineering (e.g. electronics, mechanical engineering or physics). The selection procedure is very competitive. There are usually 250 - 300 applicants for 35 - 40 seats.
To apply for the English masters degree programme in Microsystems Engineering, please fill in the online application form which will be available here in April 2014. Print the filled form, sign it and send it by regular mail (not e-mail) to the address below together with the following documents:
* A certified and (if necessary) translated copy (German or English) of your undergraduate diploma. If you have not yet completed your undergraduate studies, a certified transcript of records is sufficient
* A certified and (if necessary) translated copy (German or English) of your grade transcript.
* Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate)*
* GRE score (strongly recommended)
* Curriculum vitae or résumé
* Personal Statement of intent (explaining why you want to study the MSc. in Microsystems Engineering at the University of Freiburg)
* At least one recommendation letter from a university professor to be submitted in a separate envelope, sealed and signed by the referee
* APS certificate (for Chinese and Vietnamese applicants only)
*IELTS, GRE and TOEFL scores should be sent by the testing centre to the University of Freiburg (institutional code 7125 for ETS, department: "computer science").
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
The Faculty of Engineering offers performance based part scholarships of 2400 Euro per year to the best 5 applicants (
ACQUIN accreditation until Sep 30, 2015