|Application deadline:||June 1st for Non-EU citizens, July 15th for EU-citizens|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2014, October 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Bioinformatics and System Biology are two new challenging and up-and-coming fields of science at the crossroads of computer science and the life sciences. Bioinformatics and system biology are making key contributions to the latest advances in biotechnology, molecular biology and medicine.
The Master of Science in Bioinformatics and System Biology is a two-year, interdisciplinary degree programme designed for specially qualified students from Germany and abroad.
This consecutive masters degree programme is suited for students who studied computer science as a major and bioinformatics as a minor and have a bachelor's degree that is similar to the degree programme offered by the University of Freiburg. The course was also designed for students with an undergraduate degree in the natural sciences. The programmes main goal is to familiarize students with the methods of bioinformatics and system biology while also providing them with a foundation in biology and computer science.
The Master's Programme consists of modules in the following areas:
* Advanced Computer Science
* Specialist areas of Computer Science/Biology
In the area of Bioinformatics the following modules build the basis for the specific bioinformatics studies:
* Bioinformatics II
* General foundations of Bioinformatics
* Genomic Bioinformatics
In addition, students will complete at least two out of the following courses:
* RNA Bioinformatics
* Simplified protein models
* Bioinformatics and molecular biology
* Applied systems biology
* Theoretic systems biology
In the field of Advanced Computer Science students will deepen their knowledge in one of the following modules:
* Artificial Intelligence
* Computer Architecture
* Theory of Algorithms
* Image Processing
* Machine Learning
A major objective of this Master's Programme is to convey a basic knowledge in biology which will be the background and the basis for the future scientist's examination of advanced biological concepts. Students will therefore complete several coursesin the field of Biology and Biochemistry:
* Molecular biology and genetics: genes and genomes
* Evolutionary biology / genetics
Further courses offered are:
* Cell biology
* Neurobiology and Biophysics
* Advanced genetics and molecular biology
* Advanced topics of evolutionary biology
Applicants need to have a bachelor's degree in Biology, Computer Science or any other Science. Basic knowledge in Mathematics, Informatics, Biology, Bioinformatics and Systems Biology is required.
For application the following documents need to be sent:
* Application form
* A certified copy of your undergraduate diploma. If you have not yet completed your undergraduate studies, a certified transcript of records is sufficient
* A certified a copy of your grade transcript showing all courses taken and marks obtained as well as the current average grade.
* A certified copy of your higher secondary certificate
* Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate)
* Proof of German proficiency (B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
* Curriculum vitae or résumé
* Personal Statement of intent
* APS certificate (for Chinese and Vietnamese applicants only)
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
The Faculty of Engineering offers performance based part scholarships of 2400 Euro per year to the best 5 applicants (