Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||June 1st for Non-EU citizens, July 15th for EU-citizens|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2014|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Bioinformatics is an emerging and challenging discipline at the interface of Informatics (or Computer Science) and Life Sciences. Bioinformatics has been and still is a major trigger for the current developments in the fields of Bio-Engineering, Molecular Biology and Medicine.
The Master of Science Programme in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology offered at the Departments of Computer Science and Biology is a two-year programme designed for highly qualified domestic and foreign students having a bachelor's degree bioinformatics, biotechnology, life sciences or similar. Candidates holding a degree in computer science or biology may be admitted under the condition of passing some additional courses.
The Master´s degree course aims to provide a deeper understanding of Bioinformatics' methods and to broaden the students' knowledge in the fields of Biology and Computer Science. Students attend lectures, seminars and lab courses in Biology, Computer Science and Bioinformatics, which they may select according to their background, language proficiency and their areas of interest. During project work and the Master´s thesis students will be involved in the actual research of the Departments of Computer Science and/or Biology.
The MSc. Programme broadens and deepens the students' Bioinformatics expertise and provides a sound basis for a career in the field of Bioinformatics. Being research oriented, the programme equips students for independent scientific work. Students participate in lectures, seminar courses and tutorials which they may select based on their previous experience. After having completed the first three study semesters, students will focus on their thesis during the fourth semester. Graduates of the Master of Science course may be considered for a PhD.
The Master's Programme consists of modules in the following areas:
* Advanced Computer Science
* Specialist areas of Computer Science/Biology
In the area of Bioinformatics the following modules build the basis for the specific bioinformatics studies:
* Bioinformatics II
* General foundations of Bioinformatics
* Genomic Bioinformatics
In addition, students will complete at least two out of the following courses:
* RNA Bioinformatics
* Simplified protein models
* Bioinformatics and molecular biology
* Applied systems biology
* Theoretic systems biology
In the field of Advanced Computer Science students will deepen their knowledge in one of the following modules:
* Artificial Intelligence
* Computer Architecture
* Theory of Algorithms
* Image Processing
* Machine Learning
A major objective of this Master's Programme is to convey a basic knowledge in biology which will be the background and the basis for the future scientist's examination of advanced biological concepts. Students will therefore complete several coursesin the field of Biology and Biochemistry:
* Molecular biology and genetics: genes and genomes
* Evolutionary biology / genetics
Further courses offered are:
* Cell biology
* Neurobiology and Biophysics
* Advanced genetics and molecular biology
* Advanced topics of evolutionary biology
Applicants need to have a bachelor's degree in Biology, Computer Science or any other Science. Basic knowledge in Mathematics, Informatics, Biology, Bioinformatics and Systems Biology is required.
For application the following documents need to be sent:
* Application form
* A certified copy of your undergraduate diploma. If you have not yet completed your undergraduate studies, a certified transcript of records is sufficient
* A certified a copy of your grade transcript showing all courses taken and marks obtained as well as the current average grade.
* A certified copy of your higher secondary certificate
* Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate)
* Proof of German proficiency (B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
* Curriculum vitae or résumé
* Personal Statement of intent
* APS certificate (for Chinese and Vietnamese applicants only)
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||580|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||237|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
The Faculty of Engineering offers performance based part scholarships of 2400 Euro per year to the best 5 applicants (
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.