6-year Medical studies in English
Congratulations on your decision to study medicine at Medical University Prof. Paraskev Stoyanov- Varna. You are joining a great tradition of excellence in medical education. The Faculty of Medicine has over 45-years experience in training both Bulgarian and international students.
Medical University Prof. Paraskev Stoyanov - Varna is recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and by the ECFMG of the United States. Graduates can practice in the United States after passing the USMLE and are certified by the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
The six-year medical studies in English allow students to enroll in the medical school directly from high school. The program is designed for foreign students who are strongly motivated, have a good command of both written and spoken English. The proficiency in English language is proved by sitting a test in English for Academic Medical Studies administered by the Department of Foreign Languages at Varna Medical University.
After the successful completion of the 6-years course of academic studies in the specialty of medicine, students are awarded a Diploma of completed higher medical education. Graduates are conferred Masters degree along with the professional qualification physician. The possession of that degree enables the holder to practice medicine in EU countries.
The Medical studies in English last six years (ten semesters and one-year of state clinical internships). Except for the fact that instructions, labs, lectures and examinations are conducted in English, the curriculum of the six-year medical studies in English is completely identical with the coursework pursued by Bulgarian medical students. Learning Bulgarian language is also compulsory during the first two years of the program. Foreign students are required to learn Bulgarian in order to be able to communicate with the patients from the third year onwards.
The first two years of medical school includes an overview of fundamental or basic science courses. The first year is devoted to general understanding of biological, chemical and physical sciences applicable to the practice of medicine. Starting with the second year, the focus progressively narrows down, chanelling the studies towards those biomedical sciences that are most relevant for a practicing physician.
The clinical years are what all medical students anticipate, a time when lectures and laboratories translate into patient care. The clinical studies examine the application of the biomedical sciences mastered during the first two years of medical school. The teaching from the third year onwards takes place exclusively in clinical settings and involves work with patients admitted for treatment at the Universitys teaching hospitals. The following are brief examples of some of the teaching experiences students may expect during their clinical experiences:
- clinical skills workshop
- physical examination and history taking
- medical notation learning how to write doctors notes
- patients` diagnosis, treatment and management
Before entering the clinical phase of their education students are required to have good command of Bulgarian language in order to avoid misunderstanding the patients.
The last year of medical studies has exclusively practical purposes. During the last year, students work under the direct guidance of the assistants and instructors with high academic positions in the clinics.
Final assessment of knowledge acquired by the students after accomplishing their full course of studies is given by the State Examination Board at a comprehensive theoretical and practical examination.
After the successful completion of the medical studies in English, the European supplement of the issued diploma is identical to that granted in the Bulgarian language medical program: M.D. (students obtain Medical Doctors degree). The possession of that degree enables the holder to practice medicine in EU countries. The degree also enables the holder to practice medicine all over the world.
A high school diploma. No Bachelor´s degree is required. There is no entrance exam for international students. Courses in chemistry and biology in high school as well as good grades in these subjects are obligatory prior to admission. Applicants (those who are not native speakers) are required to hold a certificate (FCE,CAE,CPE, TOEFL) orany other document proving their proficiency in English.
Only full-time students can be admitted to these medical studies in English. The annual tuition for foreign citizens can be paid in one or two instalments.
All documents of the applicants are approved by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sofia. For these purposes we should receive the following documents by express mail not later than July 1st:
1. COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM
2. COPY OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA duly legalised by the Bulgarian Embassy in Applicant's country (original wet stamps and seals - Apostille required) and translated into Bulgarian.
3. COPY OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT duly legalised by the Bulgarian Embassy in the applicant's country (original wet stamps and seals - Apostille required) and translated into Bulgarian.
An obligatory requirement is for the applicant to have taken biology and chemistry courses in high school and the average score of those two subjects is required to be not less than 62% (for example 62 points by the grading system in Republic of Turkey) of the maximum results in accordance to the grading system in the respected country.
4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE, issued not earlier than 1 (one) month before the date of application, stating that the applicant is clinically and mentally healthy legalised by the Bulgarian Embassy in Applicant´s country (original wet stamps and seals - Apostille required) and accompanied by its translation in Bulgarian.
5. DECLARATION BY THE APPLICANT`S PARENT(S) FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT during his/her studies in Republic of Bulgaria, accompanied by its translation in Bulgarian. The declaration is required to be legalized by a Notary Public.
6. C.V. (RESUME) signed by the Applicant
7. Four photographs (passport size)
8. Document issued by an authorized body (the applicant´s high school),certifying the right of the applicant to continue his/her education in higher schools in the country in which the latter has acquired his/her secondary education (or for applicants from Republic of Turkey - Certificate issued by YOK that the applicants have passed the matriculations (entrance exams) in Turkey).
No work experience is required.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS we offer you the chance to receive up to £10,000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.
Medical University-Varna was established in 1961 by a decree of the National Assembly of Republic of Bulgaria as a pursuant to Higher Medical Institute. The Mission of Medical University of Varna is to make the most of its qualities for a better health way in the future.