Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
In 2004 the University of Bonn - supported by the CEMBIO - launched an International Masters Course in Molecular Biotechnology. This ECTS credited course, taught fully in English, is aimed at graduate students (from such fields as biology, nutrition, agriculture, chemistry, food chemistry, pharmacy, medicine and dentistry) with a strong background in cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology and biochemistry. The program has been accredited by the German Federal Council for Accreditation.
Foundations are provided by lectures addressing
* biotechnology and molecular biology,
* bioprocess engineering,
* bioinformatics, and
* economics in conjunction with an integrated practical course.
In addition, seminars are offered on bioethics and current topics in biotechnology.
A major focus of the program is the development of practical laboratory skills through a combination of compulsory and optional practicals.
Compulsory courses include
* microbial expression systems,
* genomics and proteomics,
* animal and plant cell culture,
* bioprocess engineering
Students can choose from a range of optional fields as for example
* microbial, fungal, plant, animal and cell lines as expression systems,
* enzyme technology,
* analysis and systematics of biological surfaces, and
* pharmacologically active natural substances.
From a total of six optional courses a maximum of two may be substituted by laboratory work on current research projects.
In their fourth and final semester, students are required to conduct a research-oriented thesis.
Who can apply? Everyone who
* has earned a life science or medical degree from a university recognised by the German Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, and
* has a sound theoretical as well as practical knowledge of biology with
* min. 80 lab hours in biochemistry, plus
* min. 80 lab hours in molecular genetics, plus
* min. 80 lab hours in microbiology, plus
* min. 80 lab hours in and cell biology, with
* lab hours = bench work only, excluding data processing, calculations, protocol writing and other paperwork,
* from practicals about current methods in the above subjects, and
* fulfils the minimum English language proficiency requirements
* paper TOEFL min. 550, or
* computer TOEFL min. 213, or
* internet TOEFL (iBT) min. 79, or
* IELTS min. 6.0,
* not older than one year at the time of visa application (for applicants from outside the European Union, requirement of the German embassies/consulates),
* with a favourable distribution of points in the categories listening, reading, writing, speaking, and
* is a citizen of the European Union, or from outside the EU and eligible for a student visa (funding and other requirements according to the standards, information about which is available from the German Embassy or Consulate General),
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.