20.9 kilometres away in K"oszeg
20.9 kilometres away in K"oszeg
45.7 kilometres away in Sopron
57.4 kilometres away in Wiener Neustadt
67.7 kilometres away in Graz
68.6 kilometres away in Graz
68.7 kilometres away in Graz
82.9 kilometres away in Laxenburg
89.8 kilometres away in Leoben
96.8 kilometres away in Vienna
European Peace University is a private university in Stadtschlaining, Austria.
The institution was founded in 1988 as European University Center for Peace Studies (EPU) by Gerald Mader in his capacity as president of the ASPR, with the support of European UNESCO commissions, and is affiliated to the Austrian Study Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution (ASPR), also located at Stadtschlaining.
The original curriculum of EPU was designed along the lines of Johan Galtungs Plan for a Master of Peace and Conflict Resolution which he developed for the University of Hawaii. The EPU has been offering postgraduate programs in Peace Studies since 1990. In 1995, EPU was co-winner of the UNESCO Prize for Peace Education. The EPUs UNESCO Chair on Peace, Human Rights and Democracy was established in 1996.
When the institute gained university status in March 2010, it was renamed to "European Peace University Private Universität".
Primary goals of the EPU are:
* Spreading the idea of peace in the spirit of the UNESCO
* Giving scientific and educational support to global peace
* Promoting a "world domestic policy" based on sustainable development, cooperative responsibility and ecological security
* Contributing to the development of a global peace culture
* Training and improving individual capabilities in peace-making and conflict resolution
The European University Center for Peace Studies (EPU) has submitted a request for accreditation as a private university with the Austrian Accreditation Council (Österreichischer Akkreditierungsrat - ÖAR) on 5 March 2009. By official notification of the Council of 22 February 2010 the EPU has received accreditation as a recognized private university ("Private Universität") according to the University Accreditation Act (UniAkkG) of the year 2000 and the European Bologna Process. The notification has been officially confirmed by the Federal Ministry for Science and Research on 31 March 2010. The new private university, now called "European Peace University (EPU) - Private University", will offer three new master programmes (M.A.) as follows:
Accredited Study Programmes within the European Peace University (EPU) - Private University
The EPU will offer 3 new study courses:
* MA Programme in Peace and Conflict Studies
* MA Programme in European Peace and Security Studies
* MA Programme in Peacebuilding
For detailed information on the curricula of the new MA programmes please visit the section "Study".
* Friedensklänge - Sounds of Peace (spring symphonic orchestra in Stadtschlaining)
* Friedensmuseum (Peace Museum at Schlaining Castle)
* Burgenland Tourismus (tourism, culture and arts in the region of Burgenland)
* Offenes Haus Oberwart - OHO (cultural centre in Oberwart)
* Lovely Days, Forestglade, Nova Jazz & Blues Nights, Sunsplash Festival (Afro, Reggae, Latin, Blues, Jazz & Indie Rock festivals in Wiesen/Burgenland)
* Nova Rock (international rock festival in Nickelsdorf/Burgenland)
* Picture On - rock festival in Bildein/Burgenland
* EO - Einkaufszentrum Oberwart (shopping centre, restaurants and cinemas in Oberwart)
* Gemeinde Stadtschlaining (local government and tourist information service of Stadtschlaining)
* Stadtgemeinde Oberwart (local government and tourist information service of Oberwart)
* Thermenwelt Burgenland (hot springs and outdoor baths in the region of Burgenland)
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.