The University of Bridgeport was founded in 1927 as the Junior College of Connecticut, the first junior college chartered by any legislature in the northeastern states. In the words of its founders, the college’s purpose was to develop in students a point of view and a habit of mind that promotes clear thinking and sound judgment in later professional and business experience. Although UB has changed in many ways since then, its commitment to student preparation and community service remains central to its mission.
The Junior College of Connecticut became the University of Bridgeport in 1947, when the governor of Connecticut chartered the institution as a four-year university with authority to grant the baccalaureate degree. By that time, the former estate of famed circus owner P.T. Barnum at Bridgeport’s picturesque Seaside Park had been purchased. Growth in students, faculty, programs and buildings was rapid. Strong growth continued throughout the 1960s and 70s.
In January 1979, the University was licensed to offer the doctoral degree in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.). In 1991 the College of Chiropractic was established, thereby becoming the first affiliation of a chiropractic school with a university in the United States. Significant financial support from the Professors World Peace Academy (PWPA), a non-profit organization of academicians dedicated to world peace through education, enabled the University of Bridgeport to continue its programs in the aftermath of great challenges for both the University and the City of Bridgeport. In 1996 the University established the College of Naturopathic Medicine, which grants the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.). In fall 2006, the University began enrolling students in a Ph.D. program in Computer Science and Engineering.
The University maintains its primary commitments and holds fast to its values. Academic programs are offered through twelve schools, colleges and institutes. Concern for student development and support predominate. A career-oriented focus in academic programs is complemented at the undergraduate level with a state-of-the-art core curriculum that helps students secure competencies for lifelong learning and knowledge about our world. The graduate, professional and health sciences programs offer career-oriented masters and doctoral degrees.
Co-operative education opportunities, accelerated learning (through the University’s IDEAL Program), commitment to teaching and a strong tradition of students first are a few of the reasons over 5,300 students are enrolled at the University.
Mission: The University of Bridgeport offers career-oriented undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees and programs for people seeking personal and professional growth. The University promotes academic excellence, personal responsibility and commitment to service. Distinctive curricula in an international, culturally diverse, supportive learning environment prepare graduates for life and leadership in an increasingly interconnected world. The University is independent and non-sectarian.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master at University of Bridgeport!
Student life at UB is engaging, exciting, and fun. With more than 50 active student clubs and organizations, it’s hard not to be involved on campus. Our campus has something to offer everyone.
Join or start a club, play an intramural sport, run for student government. Participate in and plan new campus activities. Jog next to the ocean at Seaside Park. Grab a coffee in the Knights End Cafe, or meet up with your friends for a pick-up game of basketball. The choices are endless for involvement in campus life at UB.
Our 50-acre campus on the beautiful seashore of Bridgeport, Connecticut is located on the northeast coast of the United States, a region known for the variation and beauty of its seasonal changes. The average temperature for June, July, and August is 71 °F (23 °C) and the average temperature for December through March is 33 °F (0.6 °C).
Situated in the heart of the New York City metro area, our students have endless options for entertainment, culture, relaxation, rejuvenation and discovery. New York City is just one hour away. Boston is three hours away, and Washington, D.C., is six hours away.
We are within walking distance of the city’s railroad station, where you can catch a train and:
* Go to New York or Boston to see a Yankees or Red Sox game
* See a concert on the New Haven Green and eat at the famous Pepe’s Pizza
* Explore the Smithsonian Institute
* Picnic in Central Park
* Tour the White House
* Go to the top of the Empire State Building
* Run the Boston Marathon
* Visit the Arena at Harbor Yard, one of Connecticut’s largest sports and entertainment venues featuring basketball, hockey and concerts.
The University of Bridgeport is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The University also is accredited by the Board of Governors of the Connecticut Department of Higher Education.
National accreditations of professional programs have been granted by the following accrediting bodies in the areas noted:
· Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association for associate (A.S.) and baccalaureate (B.S.) degree program in Dental Hygiene.
· Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology baccalaureate (B.S.) degree program in Computer Engineering.
· The Doctor of Chiropractic degree program is awarded programmatic accreditation by The Council on Chiropractic Education.
· All professional and teacher-training programs in Education have received accreditation from the Connecticut State Department of Education.
· The School of Business is accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
· The Master of Science in Acupuncture program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM), which is the recognized accrediting agency for the approval of programs preparing acupuncture and oriental medicine practitioners.
· The College of Naturopathic Medicine is accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
· The University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, StudyPortals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.