KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Stockholm, Sweden
KTH Royal Institute of Technology has served as one of Europe’s key centres of innovation and intellectual talent for almost two hundred years. Recognized as Sweden’s most prestigious technical university, KTH is also the country’s oldest and largest. With over 18,000 students and an international reputation for excellence, the university continues to nurture the world’s brightest minds, helping to shape the future.
Visit University Website Many students visit a university website

Why should I study here at KTH Royal Institute of Technology?

Top reasons for being a student at KTH

  • Ranked as the premier technical university in Sweden, and as one of the leading seats of learning in Europe.
  • Research university, housing world-class research within a number of areas. Close links between education and research ensure that courses include the latest developments within any given field.
  • Largest, oldest and most internationally diverse technical university in Sweden with 18 000 students.
  • The international dimension is evident. KTH cooperates with top technical universities worldwide in terms of research projects, student exchange, etc. The student population includes 3500 international students and more than 100 different nationalities!
  • Long academic tradition of offering high-quality education and research, dating back to 1827.
  • Located in Stockholm, Sweden's beautiful capital city. The main campus in central Stockholm is situated within walking distance to most of everything the city has to offer.
  • Sweden has a strong tradition of engineering excellence and technical innovation.
  • Sweden is one of the safest countries in the world and known for being innovative and open-minded with great natural beauty. International students often take the opportunity to discover and enjoy the large number of historical, cultural and natural treasures in and around Stockholm.
  • Tradition of offering an extensive introduction programme for international students; including information meetings, social activities, introduction to Stockholm, Swedish language courses, etc.
  • And, most importantly, a number of independent surveys show that a degree from KTH is a great starting point for a successful career.

About KTH Royal Institute of Technology

KTH is responsible for one-third of Sweden´s capacity for engineering studies and technical research at post-secondary level. KTH conducts top-notch education and research of a broad spectrum - from natural science to all branches of technology, including architecture, industrial economics, urban planning, work science and environmental technology. Apart from research performed at our departments, a large number of competence centres are housed here at KTH and we contribute to another three national ones. Strategic research foundations are also funding other research programmes or graduate schools.

Studies at KTH can lead to a number of degrees - Architect, Master or Bachelor of Science, or Doctor/ licentiate in either science or philosophy. Continuing education is also an important part of our activities.

KTH is a public university, mainly funded by government grants.
It was founded in 1827 and is the largest of Sweden´s universities of technology. Since 1917 KTH has been housed in central Stockholm in beautiful buildings which today have historical monument status, and associated colleges etc. are also found in various places in the Stockholm surroundings - Haninge, Kista, Södertälje.
In Kista, the main Swedish resource centre of information technology, KTH co-operates with Stockholm University, other research centres, and with industry.
Extensive co-education schemes are also carried out with a number of regional university colleges, where many of the MSc engineering students may complete their first two years before going to KTH in Stockholm.

KTH is an international institution with established research and educational exchanges all over the world, especially in Europe, the USA, Australia and Southeast Asia. Cooperation schemes with the Baltic states and Russia are on the increase. It is KTH´s ambition to play an even stronger role in the EU research programmes than today. Various joint efforts with the Swedish International Development Agency and other development bodies abroad are also part of our international programme.


KTH Campus on Valhallavägen is like a small town in the middle of a big city. Centrally located the campus has a history which dates back to the early 20th century.

KTH Campus

A number of central functions can be found here which are common for all campuses: The student clinic, a new large library, the Info-Center, a sports centre, a housing agency, the Presidents administration and much more. There are also cafés and restaurants as well as the student union building Nymble where the students union arranges different types of activities.

Thanks to a major exchange with foreign universities, the environment at KTH Campus is noticeably international. Each year, 1,000 exchange students arrive here and approximately the same amount come to study on KTHs Masters programmes.

Within the area, there are also other university colleges such as Danshögskolan (the College of Dance), Försvarshögskolan (the Military Academy), Operahögskolan (University College of Opera) and Röda Korsets högskola (The Red Cross University), which contribute to making the campus even more dynamic and alive!

Child care

Child care services are available for all children from one year of age. The parents pay a fee linked to the familys income and the childs attendance. Contact your local municipality (kommun) for more information.
In addition, there are private English-speaking preschools, more information about this is available at your local municipality.

Schools for accompanying children

In Sweden compulsory school begins at the age of seven, although before then almost all six-year-olds attend voluntary preschool classes. Between ages 7-16, children attend compulsory comprehensive school. After completing the ninth grade, 90% continue with a three-year upper secondary school (gymnasium) with most programs leading to a vocational diploma and (depending on which program you've chosen) to qualifications for further studies at a university or university college (högskola). All education provided by the state is free.
Contact your local municipality (kommun) or stadsdelsförvaltning in Stockholm City for more information about schools with other language profiles.
If you want to select a primary or secondary school in another municipality than where you live, check first whether this is alright with your home municipality

A personal identity number (personnummer) is given to all persons who have a residence permit valid for one year or more. The number gives you access to reduced costs in the Swedish health- and medical care system. All you have to do is to give your number whenever you visit a clinic or hospital. If you have a residence permit valid for less than a year, you will be given a coordination number (samordningsnummer). Please note that a coordination number does not entitle you to any health care benefits and you will have to pay for medical care.

Health centres

If you fall ill or need medical care or advice, you should contact your local health centre, (husläkarmottagning/vårdcentral). Each residential area has one or more health centres. To find out which one you are affiliated to, call the Stockholm Healthcare Guide Hotline, Vårdguiden, and choose the alternative general information (allmäninformation), the phone number is 08-320100. If you have any questions about health check-ups for children or about parental care, you can ask your health centre. Doctors there can also refer you to a specialist, if necessary.

Local Emergency Ward

Local emergency ward (Närakut) provides immediate treatment for minor injuries and illnesses. Open daily 08.0022.00 hours. Call before a visit. For more information, call Vårdguiden on

Emergency hospitals

In a major emergency, dial 112 and ask for the police, ambulance, fire brigade or poison information. In emergencies you can visit one of the major hospitals:

  • Karolinska University Hospital, Solna; 08-51770000
  • Astrid Lindgrens Childrens Hospital: 08-51777102
  • Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge: 08-58580000
  • Danderyd Hospital: 08-6555000
  • Söder Hospital: 08-6161000
  • St Eriks Eye Hospital, Polhemsgatan 50: 08-6723100
  • St Görans Hospital, S:t Göransplan 1: 08- 58701000

A doctors visit costs around SEK 140, while a visit to a specialist or to the emergency clinics at the hospitals costs around SEK 260. These costs are subsidised by the Swedish State, the actual cost for a normal visit being SEK 1,7002,000. If you dont have a Swedish personal identity number or an EU Health Insurance Card, you must pay the full cost yourself.


A doctors prescription is generally needed to obtain drugs at Swedish pharmacies, except for common OTC medicines such as aspirin. You can get advice on treatment for minor illnesses such as headache, cold and cough, allergic reactions, fever and stomach problems. The pharmacies Apoteket are generally open from Monday to Friday 09.0018.00 hours, Saturday 09.0013.00 hours. The C.W. Scheele pharmacy at Klarabergsgatan 64 (underground T-Centralen) is open round the clock.

Dental care

If you are staying for more than a year, have a Swedish personal identity number and pay taxes in Sweden, you have access to reduced dental care costs. EU/EEA citizens are entitled to use the emergency dental care services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can produce an EU Health Insurance Card. Remember that the cost of dental care is not fixed, so you should always ask your dentist how much the treatment will cost before it starts.
For an ordinary check-up, you can contact the Dental Public Service (Folktandvården) or a dentist of your choice.

Student life at KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Local transportation

The public transport system in Sweden is usually very reliable. Stockholms public transport system, SL, consists of an underground system (Tunnelbanan) and a commuter train network as well as buses. There is a 30-day travel card valid for travel by all SLs means of transportation in the Stockholm area that can be purchased at many newspaper kiosks. You can also buy single tickets at the entrance to the underground station or a book of discounted punch tickets (förköpsremsa) at newspaper kiosks. You cannot buy tickets on buses. Student travel cards are available to a reduced price. SL provides a journey planner in English that shows the quickest and most convenient route between two stations or bus stops.

Rail Network

Sweden has a highly effective rail network spanning the country. The long distant trains are operated by a few major train operators. As an extension to the railway network, buses operate on a frequent basis as a link to smaller cities and villages. The long distant train have an array of different prices for families, students, youths, groups, last minute etc. see:

  • sj.se
  • resplus.se


The international airport, Arlanda, is situated 40 km north of Stockholm. There are airport buses connecting the airport to the Central Railway Station in the city centre (Cityterminalen). The buses leave every 15 minutes and the trip to Stockholm City takes about 40 minutes. The Arlanda Express is a high-speed train with departures every 15 minutes from Arlanda to Stockholm central station. A number of taxi companies have fixed prices to and from Arlanda, normally between SEK 400 and 500. Bromma is the airport for Stockholm City. It is connected to the Central Railway Station by airport coaches. The journey takes 20 minutes. Skavsta airport is situated 100 km south of Stockholm. The airport is connected to the Central Railway Station by airport coaches. The journey to Stockholm City Centre takes about 80 minutes.


Cycling is a common mode of transportation and not only among students. By law a bike must have reflectors on both wheels and also a proper front and rear light for cycling after dark.
At Stockholm City Bikes, you can rent a bike between April and October. With a card from Stockholm City Bikes, you can use any bike from a large number of bike stands all around the city. When you're finished with the bike, just put it back in any stand. For more information see:

  • Citybikes

Driving licence

Foreign driving licences are valid in Sweden, but not if the holder is under 18, which is the minimum age in Sweden. For driving licences from EU and EEA countries the same rules apply as for Swedish licences. Non-EU/EEA driving licences become invalid when the holder has been resident in Sweden for more than a year. Non- EU/EEA citizens may apply for exemption from the 12-month rule if their stay in Sweden is temporary (e.g. 14 years). Contact the Stockholm County Administrative Board (Länsstyrelsen) for more information, phone 08-785 46 90:

  • Länsstyrelsen

It is important to contact the County Administration well in advance of the expiry of the first twelve months. More information about driving licences is available on

  • Körkortsportalen

You must always carry your licence when driving.

No licence is required to drive a moped, but the minimum age is 15 years.

  • Do not drink alcohol and drive! Sweden has stricter regulations than many other countries about drinking and driving.
  • It is compulsory for both drivers and passengers in the front and the back seats of cars and light lorries to have their safety belts fastened.
  • Dipped headlights are mandatory when driving, even in daytime.
  • You must give way to traffic approaching from the right, unless the road signs indicate otherwise.
  • You must give way to pedestrians at all zebra crossings without traffic lights
  • You must not leave your car idling for more than one minute; the engine must then be turned off.
  • Motorcyclist and moped drivers must wear crash helmets.


Post offices are nowadays a service integrated in various shops; grocery stores, kiosks, gas stations etc. The opening hours therefore differ according to the specific store. Generally the post offices are open during normal shopping hours, but local variations may apply. Look for the blue postal sign.
There are two different types of mailboxes. The blue box is for local deliveries only and the yellow box for national and international deliveries.


When calling Sweden from abroad please dial + 46 followed by the area code (omitting the initial zero) and the number required. When calling abroad from Sweden: dial 00 plus the country code, followed by the area code and phone number.
To get a telephone installed, you need a subscription (abonnemang), which costs around SEK 1,000. There is a range of telephone companies offering different prices, among them Telia, Tele2 and Bredbandsbolaget. If you do not have a personal identity number (personnummer), you will have to make a deposit to subscribe. Another alternative is to buy a new or used mobile phone, a SIM card and a top-up pre-paid calling card. You can also sign up for a Skype account. The software is free to download and calls to other people on Skype are free of charge.


There are two types of payphones: prepaid phone cards or credit cards although in the time of mobile phones these are becoming quite rare. Phone cards are available almost everywhere from newsagents´ shops or kiosks (e.g. Pressbyrån) to supermarkets.


There are two public service TV channels, SVT1 and SVT2, and a number of private operators offering many foreign channels. Everyone who owns, rents or borrows a television set has to pay a TV fee, which finances public service, radio and television transmissions in Sweden. For further information, contact the website, Radiotjänst.

  • Radiotjänst

Radio Sweden transmits daily in several languages. Visit the website for more information.

  • Radio Sweden International

Visit University Website Many students visit a university website

Master's Programmes at KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Search these programmes

School of Technology and Health (STH)

School of Information and Communication Technology (ICT)

School of Electrical Engineering

School of Architecture and the Built Environment

Nordic Master programme in Maritime Engineering

Nordic Master in Sustainable Urban Transitions (NMP SUT)

Nordic Master in Innovative Sustainable Energy Engineering (ISEE)

Materials Science and Engineering

Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master at KTH Royal Institute of Technology!

The Global Study Awards: get funded with up to £10,000 to study abroad

Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS we offer you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.

Other Degrees by KTH Royal Institute of Technology

University Location

Visit University Website Many students visit a university website
  • Reset
Compare Programmes