1.8 kilometres away in Stockholm
2.3 kilometres away in Stockholm
2.4 kilometres away in Stockholm
2.6 kilometres away in Stockholm
4.1 kilometres away in Stockholm
5.8 kilometres away in Stockholm
15.2 kilometres away in Stockholm
59.6 kilometres away in Uppsala
89.3 kilometres away in Västerås
|No. Students:||7,600||No. of Academic staff:||1,840|
|Type of education:|
|Location||Show on map|
Karolinska Institutet is a globally respected medical university marked by a passion for research and a drive to contribute to the improvement of human health. As a Karolinska Institutet student, you can become an active part of that mission and open doors to a global future.
So, why choose Karolinska Institutet as your place of study?
· It is a one-faculty university dedicated solely to the medical and health sciences with a reputation for top quality research and innovation.
· It is consistently ranked in the top 50 universities globally, and the top 5 medical universities in Europe.
· There are international career opportunities for graduates, with close links to the public and private sectors throughout the time of study, as well as opportunities for further PhD studies - which are tuition free.
· The educators at Karolinska Institutet divide their time between teaching and conducting research, keeping them in tune with ongoing developments in their respective fields.
· The Global Master's Programmes are taught entirely in English.
· The university incorporates an interactive teaching model that emphasises informal and close contact with teachers and facilitates the active participation of students.
· The Nobel connection: awarding the prestigious Nobel Prize every year has given Karolinska Institutet an invaluable contact network and a unique survey of medical research results worldwide.
· It is situated in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, which offers comfort and convenience: good public transport, history, culture, and business, surrounded by plenty of green space and blue water.
· Sweden is one of the safest countries in the world and nearly 90% of the general population speaks English.
Being one of those big names and home to the Nobel Prize definitely put Karolinska Institutet among my first choices. Karolinska Institutet is connected with the rest of the scientific community on both sides of the globe, so I knew it would open doors for me. -Haythem Ismail, Master of Biomedicine
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world´s leading medical universities. It is consistently ranked in the top 50 universities globally and the top 10 medical universities in Europe. Its mission is to contribute to the improvement of human health through research and education. Karolinska Institutet accounts for over 40 per cent of the medical academic research conducted in Sweden, and offers the country´s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. Since 1901 the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet has selected the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Karolinska Institutets seven Global Masters Programmes are taught entirely in English. A masters degree at Karolinska Institutet may very well be the first step towards a PhD at the same or another well renowned partner university somewhere in the world. It can open doors to a global future.
Follow our blogging students at ie ki.se/studentblogs.
Karolinska Institutet tohethher with Stockholm University and Royal institute of Technology (KTH) offers Stockholm Summerschool. ie stockholmsummerschool.se
Services for all students
The university library provides electronic services, a selection of course literature, study and computer rooms and educational activities for students, staff and researchers.
The service point Lyktan helps with student access cards, computer issues, academic record print-outs and so on. A new student help desk is also being set up during autumn 2011.
There is a free shuttle service for students and staff at Karolinska Institutet that connects the two campuses on weekdays.
Students with disabilities can receive special support at no extra cost during their studies.
The Student Health Centre offers medical and psychological advice and support, as well as informative health related workshops throughout the year.
The student unions arrange social activities and also represent students at Karolinska Institutet on the university-wide level in the work with educational development, international collaboration and social matters.
Specific services for international students
International students can request to be picked up from the central station and accompanied to their accommodation on arrival.
The orientation week for international students helps new international students get acclimatised to the university and to Sweden. The week begins with a three day Swedish language course, and a continued evening class in Swedish is offered during the rest of the year.
There are several lunch restaurants located on both campuses. Microwaves are available in the dining areas for self catering.
Several computer rooms are available on both campuses, some of which are open seven days a week. A wireless network is available on campus for those who prefer to bring their own laptops.
Students can make use of the Zander Student Gym, the range of sports offered by Stockholm Student Sports Association (SSIF) and the gym and group training classes offered by nationwide sports association Friskis&Svettis, as well as the Karolinska Institutet Health Promotion group training classes.
As an addition to the excitements of the bustling city life, the student unions at Karolinska Institutet take an active role in the study and leisure environment at the university, with sports activities, choirs, theatre, and other social activities.
For matters of the body and soul, the Student Health Centre is open to all students with workshops and regular activities as well as consultation, and there are ecumenical prayer/contemplation rooms on both campuses.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master's degree at Karolinska Institutet!