Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
* The Queen's Anniversary Prize 2013 - awarded for our outstanding work in the field of enterprise and business engagement.
* University of the Year - the first modern university to win the Times Higher award.
* Founded on a rich past - Over 80 years of innovation in education.
* One of the top UK universities for widening participation in higher education.
* Investment - £200m on our friendly town campus at the heart of Middlesbrough.
* Our students love it - 84% of our students are happy with the teaching on their course.
* We're research active - with an international reputation for excellence in enterprise.
* Our alumni have gone on to great things - Marek Reichman, Design Director for Aston Martin; Roger Shannon, Cannes award-winning film producer; Graeme Burnett, Senior Vice-President of Delta Airlines (formerly SVP of TOTAL Energy); Andy Ireland, renowned sports physiotherapist whose clients have included Grand Slam tennis star Andy Murray.
* Investors in People Gold - one of only five UK universities to receive cross-University accreditation.
* Tees Valley is one of the country's best kept secrets. We've got top surf, a national park on the doorstep plus unique shopping and culture, bars and famous clubs.
Given the mission, vision and character, the University has established a number of fundamental principles to inform and direct the future direction of its activities:
* the primary importance of remaining autonomous and financially viable in the increasingly turbulent UK higher education environment
* retaining, and further reinforcing, Teessides character and status as a University (not a college or training company) that invests in, values and capitalises upon applied research, innovation and knowledge exchange
* maintaining, and further enhancing the Universitys position as a business facing and business engaged University
* retaining a focus on excellence and the provision of the best possible student learning experience within the global context necessary for future success
* providing opportunities for those individuals with the potential to succeed in higher education, and who wish to stay in the Tees Valley, to use access to higher education to enhance their contribution to the health, well-being and social, economic and cultural future of the area
* maintaining, and celebrating our position as a people led organisation that recruits, values and invests in high quality staff.
At Teesside we seek to optimise and enhance the experience of staff, students, partners and external clients by:
* encouraging and embracing diversity, equality of access, esteem and opportunity and actively opposing and eradicating prejudice
* empowering individuals to develop themselves and enhance their contribution to the future aims and strategic direction of the University
* communicating openly and effectively in all directions
* being open, transparent, honest and reflective
* valuing team-working and the expertise and the contribution of individuals
* celebrating and promoting individual contributions and the achievements and wider successes of the University
* working proactively and flexibly with all stakeholders and the wider community
* working in partnership to welcome, own and adapt to change
* fostering creativity, innovation and enterprise
* being committed to sustainability and the protection of our environment
Benefit from opportunities to gain exemptions and accreditations from a wide range of professional bodies such as CIMA, ACCA, CMI, Skillset, The British Computer Society, most major engineering and scientific institutions, Forensic Science Society, Health and Care Professions Council, Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, LLB exemptions, The British Psychological Society and more.
Health & well-being
The well-being centre is a friendly and relaxing place where you can attend drop-in sessions, short courses and workshops, have a complementary therapy treatment or find out more about a particular health issue. Additional well-being services include the opportunity to obtain one-to-one nutritional advice or have a mini health check.
We provide a service to students who are visually impaired, hearing impaired, wheelchair users or people with mobility difficulties, medical conditions, autistic spectrum disorders, mental health services users and people with specific learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia). This list is not exhaustive.
Our finance advisers are available throughout the year to give you advice and information on money matters. Whether it's about tuition fees, grants, student loans or welfare benefits, we can offer guidance and help with any difficulties which arise.
The chaplaincy service is for everyone. We aim to encourage and help sustain a spiritual dimension to the lives of both staff and students of the University and bring about mutual understanding between those of different faiths and none.
Our confidential counselling service can support you through any personal or academic difficulties and develop constructive ways forward. We have a wide range of methods to help you, and professional counsellors are available on appointment. Full-time and part-time students are welcome.
Campus - finding your way around
We can't wait for you to feel part of our close-knit community. Teesside University campus is a people place and you will soon feel like you belong.
Take some time to have a look around campus and get your bearings, or use the virtual tour below before you get here to ensure you get the most out of our state-of-the-art facilities.
* Make friends and settle in at our Students Union with its friendly Terrace Bar and stylish Hub. Space to study, relax and have fun.
* Join one or more of our student societies to meet new friends, take part in sport or cultural activities and practise your faith.
* Enjoy our 60-acre Saltersgill Sports Ground, the River Tees Water Sports Centre for rowing, canoeing and kayaking and the nearby Tees Barrage, which has a world-class white water rafting course.
* Choose a local restaurant that suits your taste and budget Chinese, Italian, Indian, Japanese, vegetarian or British.
* Feel at home with nearby national and international supermarkets that sell authentic products at great value. Choose from international foods, herbs and spices and speciality foods. And local Halal food is easy to find.
* Middlesbrough Theatre for drama, comedy and musicals; Cineworld for current blockbuster films and Stockton's art centre for everything else
* mima (Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art) is an impressive building with an impressive collection. Temporary exhibitions of fine art and craft from 1900 to the present featuring work by internationally acclaimed artists.
* Enjoy Middlesbroughs great shopping. Weve three indoor shopping centres and Baker Street, the towns new cool independent quarter. Stores include ASDA, TopShop, Primark, Next, Marks & Spencer plus designer brands at local boutique stores like Psyche and Triads.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master's degree at Teesside University!