67.7 kilometres away in Hildesheim
82.8 kilometres away in Paderborn
91.7 kilometres away in Braunschweig
95 kilometres away in Hannover
113.9 kilometres away in Marburg an der Lahn
114.1 kilometres away in Bielefeld
115.1 kilometres away in Weimar
138.2 kilometres away in Gießen
181.5 kilometres away in Frankfurt am Main
Motto: In publica commoda (Latin) - Zum Wohle aller (German) - For the good of all
|No. Students:||25,500 (2,800 int'l)*||No. of Academic staff:||3,732|
|Type of education:|
|Location||Show on map|
* Academic excellence You will become part of the Göttingen Research Campus: The University is integrated into a network of first-class non-university research establishments involving five Max Planck Institutes, the Göttingen Academy of Sciences, the German Primate Center, the German Aerospace Center and which are located in Göttingen. All together they form the Göttingen Research Campus, an alliance for collaboration in research and teaching arguably unique in Germany in terms of its depth and breadth.
* Reputation From 2007 to 2012 Georg-August-Universität Göttingen was rewarded funding from the Initiative of Excellence of the German Federal and State Governments. This distinguishes Göttingen as one of the nine German universities of Excellence officially rated as holding the potential for global visibility and a place amongst the foremost institutions of higher education.
* International network You will have a chance to profit from the constantly expanding institutional partnerships of the university in 90 countries. Alongside the network of European universities participating in the Erasmus programme, numerous initiatives for cooperation at university, faculty and institute level enable Göttingen students to undertake study visits throughout the world, in some cases with the support of scholarships.
* Free of charge language classes You can chose out of more than 14 different language classes offered on a free of charge basis: German, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese and many others.
* A Town with history You will live, study and do research in the city which is associated with 44 Nobel Laureates. Get inspiration walking down Robert-Koch street, Schiller street, Max-Born-Ring, Goethe alley,
* A student-friendly town You will enjoy a student-friendly environment of Göttingen, where 25% of the population are students.
Founded in 1737, the University of Göttingen is a research university of high international standing. The university is renowned not only for its remarkably diverse range of subjects, but also for its research-led teaching and outstanding scientific environment, in which more than 40 Nobel laureates have lived, studied, taught and pursued their research.
The University of Göttingen currently hosts some 25,500 students, eleven percent of whom are from abroad. Over recent years the university has undergone far-reaching reforms, which have brought about a greater degree of internationalisation as well as enhanced quality in research and teaching.
The University has a sound international reputation and was ranked number two
in Germany, number 17 in Europe and number 69 in the world in 2012 by the
Times Higher Education World University Ranking.
According to the International Student Barometer 2011, an international student survey service, almost 90 percent of the international students, who participated in the survey, would encourage people to apply to the University of Göttingen.
Students are offered far-reaching advice and support in all phases of their studies.
The International Office (International Student Services) provides a pick-up service from Göttingen railway station to the city and an orientation week for new international students with valuable information about the city and the university.
The International Office (International Student Services) supports international students in administrative affairs, e.g. enrolment in the university and the foreigners' registration office, in finding suitable health insurance and in financial matters; it also mediates between students and other institutions. Furthermore, it features a broad cultural programme, e.g. international cultural evenings, language workshops, theatre courses, excursions to various German towns, films, dance classes, theatre and opera visits.
The International Office (International Student Services), in collaboration with the "Studentenwerk", helps students seeking for an accommodation. Many international students live in student dorms. These have single apartments or shared apartments with individual rooms. There are also apartments available for couples and for families with children.
InDiGU is a programme that helps international students to get in contact with German students. You are welcome to join intercultural trainings and workshops alongside German students to increase your intercultural skills. InDiGu also offers possibilities for a partnership with German students; you will help each other to improve your language and academic writing skills or prepare for exams. Further, you can advance your internship and career chances participating in the Career Tandem programme. Partly students also receive ECTS credits for their activities with InDiGU.
Participating in the programme offered by Foyer International is another possibility to get in contact with German or international students. Foyer International offers a variety of workshops including language, theatre play and writing. Furthermore each term three trips to German major cities and historical or natural sights are offered to international students.
Every semester, foreign students can participate in a number of trips to German cities of political, cultural and historical interest as well as to other general touristic attractions. German students are also welcome to take part in the excursions.
Göttingen, with a population of approx. 130,000, is a city where tradition and innovation complement one another perfectly. The historic quarter with its excellently preserved timber-framed houses on the one hand, and the University of Göttingen with its 25,500 students on the other hand create a lively atmosphere that would be hard to find elsewhere.
Situated in the geographical centre of Germany and Europe, Göttingen has excellent travel connections, e.g. Berlin, Hamburg or Frankfurt are only a two-hour train ride away. But you don't have to go that far to take a break, because Göttingen itself offers many possibilities for recreational activities.
The town has three theatres, a symphony orchestra and many cinemas, cafés and pubs which provide numerous opportunities to meet like-minded people. The centre of Göttingen sports a vibrant pub and club scene catering to a mostly student clientele. There are no enforced closing times. Some establishments have live music. Evenings with guest DJs and theme nights are usually advertised by posters throughout the city. Once per semester, they even present your professors at the turntable such nights are always crowded.
You will also have a chance to play an active role in the university's students' union, which sponsors many cultural and recreational events. You have a possibility to be creative with other fellow students in different art or photography courses. No matter if you express yourself painting or taking pictures, you have the opportunity to exhibit your work publicly.
Or do you prefer to move your hips to South American rhythms in one of our dancing classes and enjoy a good movie at our ClubKino (club cinema)? You are welcome to do so, as well as to join our choir UniCante each winter term. If you prefer jazz, then join our mini big band UniRoyal with their varied and diverse repertoire.
We offer exhibition rooms if you have already been artistically active and you would like to display your photography, graphic arts or paintings.
Last but not least, the city and the university offer a variety of activities for sports enthusiasts; there are several sports facilities available within and outside the University. The Hochschulsport Göttingen (University Sport) offers a wide range of disciplines for students and employees of the University at very low rates.
Those who enjoy a team sport might consider joining one of the football teams, playing in amateur leagues, an American football team, a baseball team or a cricket club. In addition, the city of Göttingen administers swimming pools, tennis courts and other sports facilities.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master's degree at Georg-August-Universität Göttingen!