4.2 kilometres away in Amsterdam
32.6 kilometres away in Leiden
34.8 kilometres away in Utrecht
52 kilometres away in Rotterdam
68 kilometres away in Wageningen
86.7 kilometres away in Tilburg
107.4 kilometres away in Eindhoven
162.5 kilometres away in Leuven
163.5 kilometres away in Gent
* Quality of education VU University Amsterdam has a sterling reputation for the fine quality of its teaching. You work in relatively small groups, in which considerable emphasis is placed on interaction and a personal approach. The teaching is well-organized. This is reflected, for instance, in the clear structure of the study programmes.
* Lively Amsterdam As a student of VU University Amsterdam, you stand to benefit from all the advantages offered by the capital. In just over fifteen minutes you are in the lively centre of Amsterdam, where there are numerous shops, places of entertainment, parks, and pavement cafes.
* Personal supervision VU University Amsterdam devotes considerable attention to personal study advice. Right at the start of your course of study, you will be introduced to your programmes study advisor. This person will offer you advice about any problems that you might have with your course of study, and answer questions about the job market.
* Unique identity VU University Amsterdam was the first university in the Netherlands established by a private person, with no interference from the church or the state. This heritage is still very much part of who we are: VU stands for Vrije Universiteit, which translates literally as 'Free University.' From the very beginning, the university has determined its own areas of research, created its own study programmes and practised its own didactic methods.
* Easily accessible VU University Amsterdam is readily accessible by public transport. Schiphol Airport is only eight minutes away by train. Amsterdam Zuid Station is within walking distance of VU University Amsterdam. There is also a rapid tram connection to Amsterdam Central Station or Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station, with a journey time of just sixteen minutes. VU University Amsterdam is also easy to reach by car, being situated close to Amsterdams orbital motorway.
* Practical location Almost all of VU University Amsterdam's students, staff and programmes are located in a single building complex in the business district of Amsterdam. Accordingly, in the course of your studies, it is very easy to familiarize yourself with other disciplines.
Why looking further into VU University Amsterdam?
VU University Amsterdam:
* Is consistently listed amongst the top universities in the world in different rankings
* Is located in one of the most dynamic and fast-growing business districts in the Netherlands
* Offers a modern campus university with student housing on only five minutes by bike
* Helps you with housing, visa and important registrations needed for studying in the Netherlands.
* Offers an international environment, we strive that one out of four students is an international student in our English taught programmes
* Provides high quality education in small and highly interactive classes
* Is located in lively and multicultural Amsterdam, which as the largest concentration of students in the Netherlands and where English is the 2nd language
* Most programmes offer the possibility for an internship: an excellent opportunity to explore a certain field of work 'from the inside'.
* 51 Bachelor's degree programmes, including 1 taught in English
* 110 Master's degree programmes, including 57 taught in English
* 18 Postgraduate programmes, including 2 taught in English
Overall the quality of the Dutch higher education is amongst the best in the world. According to the THES QS World University Rankings, no other country in the world can claim more than half of all its universities being ranked in the worlds top 200, VU University Amsterdam is ranked 139th, no 3 in the Netherlands.
Education at VU University Amsterdam is structured according to the Bachelors and Masters system. Students embark on a one-year or two-year Masters programme after completing a Bachelors programme, which usually takes three years. After graduating from the Masters programme, some students opt to study for a doctorate.
Generally speaking, the teaching style can be described as student-centered: we stimulate students to develop their own opinion through independent and creative thinking. At VU University Amsterdam this means that teaching is conducted in small tutorials, where interactivity is the norm rather than the exception. At all turns, students are invited to question the professors.
Facilities and activities
As a student at VU University Amsterdam, you will have an extensive range of facilities at your disposal on the campus. You will have access to an extensive library, wireless network throughout the university and numerous computer and reading rooms for students use. The universitys sports centre offers at least 35 different sports and Griffioen, the universitys cultural centre, organizes a variety of courses in arts and cultural activities.
We welcome you!
VU University Amsterdam is only too pleased to make as many practical arrangements as possible on your behalf, so that you can start your studies with a clear mind. We want to give you a good start and make you feel right at home at the university and in Amsterdam. Thats why we offer you the following services free of charge.
* VU University Amsterdam has a large number of student rooms to rent of various types and at various rates. For students who decide on time, we will arrange housing.
* We will arrange your visa if you need one.
* We can help you apply for a residence permit and register with the local authority.
* We have a pick-up service from Schiphol Airport.
* There is an introduction programme.
* You can join the international student association ESN-VUniverse.
* You will be allocated a student mentor to answer all your questions during your stay.
* You will receive an International Student Guide to Amsterdam.
* You will have free (wireless) internet access
Images of the Netherlands are common, from clogs and tulips to vibrant Amsterdam and an open and welcoming society. But these traditional perceptions of the country hide a much more interesting story, one of excellent universities and an international reputation for research and development in many of the most exciting fields of education, science and technology.
The international outlook for which the Netherlands is famous is also reflected in the range of degree programmes on offer. There are few non-English speaking countries where the range of English-speaking programmes is so wide and diverse.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a Master's degree at VU University Amsterdam!